Does this female guppy have a problem? Lost my other one today.

Marlene327

This is a female Japan Blue Guppy, hoping to have fry one of these days. Today I lost another female I tried to breed with the male. Her anus was very pronounced, and when I found her, there was a hole in her belly and there was a bad odor, nothing I smelled before. I didn't take a picture.
This blue also seems to have a more pronounced anus that wasn't there a couple weeks ago. This is the best photo I could get. It is rather tubular-looking.

Any ideas, if it's not normal? Please realize I've had many guppies for over a year with lots and lots of females and fry, and this doesn't seem normal to me. I've gotten rid of most of them except this pair and a female in another tank who does not look this way.

Attachments

• 20210915_194244.jpg
    20210915_194244.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 15

bcsay720

As I've found out recently (sadly), many issues having to deal with a fish's bowels have to do with internal parasites. The hard part is knowing which parasite your fish have, as there are different meds for normal internal parasites vs. say, nematodes. If she has red strands coming from her anus, then it's camallanus worms (nematodes). However, I have not heard of them eating holes in the side of the fish. I would research other types of internal parasites to see if any match what you're seeing. If it's not camallanus worms, then the meds for them should be fairly easy to acquire.

I've noticed that internal parasites can fester for a bit before making themselves known. I wonder if breeding does sort of push them to the forefront. I had my two honey gouramis for 4 months before they started breeding, and it was only after they started with that that I began to see changes in their health and just realized last week that they had parasites.

I hope this helps and that some others chime in with their experiences.

Marlene327

As I've found out recently (sadly), many issues having to deal with a fish's bowels have to do with internal parasites. The hard part is knowing which parasite your fish have, as there are different meds for normal internal parasites vs. say, nematodes. If she has red strands coming from her anus, then it's camallanus worms (nematodes). However, I have not heard of them eating holes in the side of the fish. I would research other types of internal parasites to see if any match what you're seeing. If it's not camallanus worms, then the meds for them should be fairly easy to acquire.

I've noticed that internal parasites can fester for a bit before making themselves known. I wonder if breeding does sort of push them to the forefront. I had my two honey gouramis for 4 months before they started breeding, and it was only after they started with that that I began to see changes in their health and just realized last week that they had parasites.

I hope this helps and that some others chime in with their experiences.
Thank you, I hope someone else also answers. I appreciate yours, was wondering if it may be a parasite. My 20 gallon tank seems to be sick lately, I need to get in there and get it figured out. I had 2 large mystery snails die. One got stuck in the intake to the filter when the sponge fell off, but the other one was dead 2 days later and it wasn't from an assassin snail. I have hair algae I'm constantly looking for and getting rid of. But you never get rid of it. Then this has been going on with my 2 girls. The male is fine, as were all the other guppies I had and got rid of last month. I have some medications here but don't know if any of them would be right.
emeraldking can you help me? I don't want to lose this fish before she drops.

bcsay720

It's definitely sad when that happens. My tanks were fine for months, and then so much happened the past two weeks. I finally got my meds yesterday, and I'm back on track. But is sure is sad and a huge pain when things start taking a bad turn.

I'm not sure how to tag, either.

Marlene327

It's definitely sad when that happens. My tanks were fine for months, and then so much happened the past two weeks. I finally got my meds yesterday, and I'm back on track. But is sure is sad and a huge pain when things start taking a bad turn.

I'm not sure how to tag, either.
I just found out, put the @ in front of their name. There, I got one helpful answer today! I have so many questions for this forum, wish I could put them in one post instead of dividing them into categories. Feel like I'll be making others as crazy as I feel right now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • FreshAtFreshwater
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
HupGuppHup
  • Question
  • goosenewton
  • Guppy
Replies
Views