Does this DIY stand look safe??

wrs2

So I needed more room for some tanks. I made a quick stand out of cinder blocks. But I'm.. um... unsure, if it looks safe, or if it's just a total disaster waiting to happen?
I kind of did it post 2nd dose COVID vaccine, so I don't think my brain was all there lol.

Please ignore the mess in my fish area. I can never seem to keep it clean...

My hermit crab tote on top of cinder blocks, right side by side of my 6 gallon cube. I literally ran out of places to put it after I upgraded by 29 to a 40 breeder.

746A6F04-AF3E-4972-A1AB-C31F71ED3063.jpeg

The smaller cinder blocks aren't too% on the larger ones, they hang over a bit...

8A31947E-EB21-41C6-9F7A-0671367D64EB.jpeg

On both sides, but they're on the plexi glass, which is very string IMO.

05D1A938-89AB-4D28-B8FF-01086570455E.jpeg

Attachments

• 46408008-7B7E-45B1-8D2F-D10F21BE7382.jpeg
    46408008-7B7E-45B1-8D2F-D10F21BE7382.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 36

StarGirl

IDK to me the skinnier blocks under the tote look kind of sketchy. Are they solid? They just look like they may tip easy.

wrs2

IDK to me the skinnier blocks under the tote look kind of sketchy. Are they solid? They just look like they may tip easy.
They have those 3 holes like the one on the left in the picture.

StarGirl

They just look tippy being on end and being so much skinnier than the bottom ones. If it feels solid it will probably be ok?

SixThreeOh

Looks fine since you don't live in an earthquake zone.

Dechi

To me the glass holding the smallest tank on the bottom looks too thin. It looks like it might break

It's the kind of setup that would make me nervous in general but that’s just me.

dwc13

DIY stands often require some compromises. Props for creativity...and bravery, lol.

1. Are the bottom cinder blocks (16" x 8", 2 core) 1 deep or 2 deep? It appears to be 1 deep. The 2nd row of cinder blocks (16" x 4", 3 core) appear to be placed against the wall. They are definitely offset from the visible 2 core cinder blocks. What is supporting the back @6" of the 3 core cinder blocks from below?

2. Have you considered adding a cross brace connecting the 2 wood legs (2-2x4s forming the legs of the other stand)? It doesn't have to be anything fancy -- you could probably use wire wrapped around the 2 wood legs. I noticed a small globe aquarium on the bottom shelf. If the 3 core cinder block somehow moves too much and falls, that globe (and possibly the tank next to it) is in trouble.

3. The green translucent sheet -- is it made of glass, plastic, acrylic or something else?

4. How heavy is the hermit crab tote?

5. Be careful when you move the bottled water.

wrs2

The green is plexiglass. I’ve used it before for aquarium shelves without issues.
I redid the stand.

30A3C800-8E70-4F14-9290-7FE200103B23.jpeg
I put the crab tote back on the old magazine rack that I’ve had it in forever and then the 6 gallon in front of it. I’m probably going to put the smaller winder blocks on the floor and the magazine rack stand on top of it to give it some more height.

It looks awful, but at least I’m not afraid it will fall over now. I can also move the cinder blocks closer for the cube so it’s supported on all edges.

Chris87

I made a stand out of 2x4s for less than $30

wrs2

I made a stand out of 2x4s for less than $30
My brother has made me a bunch of stands like that. I just don’t want one like that anymore. This isn’t meant to be permanent.

RedOnion

the redo looks much safer imo. moving the blocks more in may also help even more

dwc13

The green is plexiglass. I’ve used it before for aquarium shelves without issues.
I redid the stand.

30A3C800-8E70-4F14-9290-7FE200103B23.jpeg
I put the crab tote back on the old magazine rack that I’ve had it in forever and then the 6 gallon in front of it. I’m probably going to put the smaller winder blocks on the floor and the magazine rack stand on top of it to give it some more height.

It looks awful, but at least I’m not afraid it will fall over now. I can also move the cinder blocks closer for the cube so it’s supported on all edges.

I think it's a more safe arrangement than the initial one. Don't be too concerned about aesthetics -- you mentioned it's not permanent. Perhaps you can take over another room, lol.

wrs2

I think it's a more safe arrangement than the initial one. Don't be too concerned about aesthetics -- you mentioned it's not permanent. Perhaps you can take over another room, lol.
LOL NO way!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views
ParrotCichlid
Replies
Views
California L33
Replies