Does This Clutch Look Okay?

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been hovering over my snails first clutch like a worried mom for about 10 days now and it's making me a little anxious that they haven't hatched yet. Does this clutch look normally?
20180526_201707.jpg

Attachments

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To me it looks like some have already hatched from the parts that look like honeycomb. What type of snail?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
there are some viable eggs, but alot have broke, they can take up to a month, that is a strange shpe one lol but you will get some snails from it. mine are between 1 week and almst 4 and no sign of hatching soon, although they are viable and sllowly progressing, takes time. iv seen some ppls hatch withing a week, im (and apparently you lol) am not so lucky

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
is the clutch still hard or soft the touch? your viable eggs look like they may hatch soon

sorry mods, my edit feature isnt working

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think hatch time depends a lot on temperature. Only snails I ever had reproduce were Ramshorns and MTS. Both were unwanted lol.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hahah yes you are correct, but i had mine on a heating pad ( about 80 to 82 dagrees, and they still are taking a while, although heat normally does help a great deal, dont let the clutch get warmer then 82 and thats puchingg it

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dch48 said:
To me it looks like some have already hatched from the parts that look like honeycomb. What type of snail?
Mystery snail eggs. I think some of the eggs were broken or not viable, it's had that honeycomb since they were first laid. My snail laid them on the lid of the tank and while I was at work, part of they eggs I think fell before they could dry, I fished out part of the clutch from the bottom of the tank as soon as I saw it and put both parts in an incubator.

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ms rose said:
is the clutch still hard or soft the touch? your viable eggs look like they may hatch soon

sorry mods, my edit feature isnt working
The clutch is still hard. How do I know when they're about to hatch though?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well, the clutch (the viable eggs) will turn a greyish blaack (moldy look) and get very soft, then the babies will emerge , at that poin they are ready. from the looks of it though alot of the eggs busted already so only the viable eggs will soften and "mold" this will be a small bit tricky as the unviable eggs will stay hard, so you may need to assist in hatching them, go on youtube and look up mystery snail egg clutch/how to hatch them out. this may help you more vissually then what i just discribed. best of luck, its so exciting

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the eggs that fell in the water wont be anygood, they drown. if you caught them just as they fell, there may have been a chance, but amymore the 5 ish mins and the clutch dies

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ms rose said:
the eggs that fell in the water wont be anygood, they drown. if you caught them just as they fell, there may have been a chance, but amymore the 5 ish mins and the clutch dies
I have babies this evening!! They're so tiny and cute! Thank you so much for your help!
20180527_222418.jpg

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom