Does This Betta Look Sick To You? Has Anyone Heard Of Fur Coat Syndrome? 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lantonor, May 22, 2019.

1. Lantonor New Member Member

I got a betta a few days ago, and I woke up this morning to find that it passed. This came as a shock, because up until last night the betta seemed fine. It was slowly swimming around his tank and inspecting things and he ate. The one thing that I thought was a bit weird was the fact that he would sometimes hide for a long period of time.

Here's a picture from when I first got him. A friend told me he sees fin rot and "fur coat syndrome" on him, but I don't see either of these from the picture. Does anyone have any idea what could've happened?

Here's a picture of him from when I first got him:

Here's the latest picture I have of him:

Here's the tank he was in:

Like I said, the betta has already passed so this isn't a time-sensitive/pressing matter, I would just like to know what happened to him if anyone has any ideas. Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

2. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey.
    Did you cycle the tank? Do you know what the parameters were when he was in the tank?

3. Lantonor New Member Member

Yes, I made sure the tank was cycled before I added him. The parameters were 0/0/10 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and the PH was 7.2

4. Repolie Well Known Member Member

I don't see anything wrong with him that would indicate that he was in poor health. He looked to be in good physical conditions from the pictures.

Also during my time of fish keeping I've only come across things mentioning "fur coat syndrome" around 3 or 4 times. There's such little resources or articles about such a thing that I don't believe that it's real or was something else that had gotten misidentified as something new.

When did you get him? Where did you get him? And what was his physical state when he died?

5. Lantonor New Member Member

My friend got him sometime last week from Petco. He was keeping it in a one gallon bowl and eventually realized he couldn't care for it properly, so he gave it to me to on Saturday. From when I got him up until Tuesday he was fine. On Tuesday, he spent the whole day hiding in the little wooden ornament in the middle. He'd poke his head out every once in a while and swim around the tank, but he spent most of the day in there. I woke up this morning (Wednesday) to find him laying on his side and pale on the bottom of my tank. I nudged him to see if he'd move, but he wasn't moving at all. Then I noticed he straight up wasn't breathing and took him out of the tank.

6. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Is there water movement to circulate oxygen in this tank?

7. Lantonor New Member Member

Yes, I was actually worried that there was too much water agitation/flow was too high for him, but he was swimming around okay. The filter was definitely providing water agitation though.

8. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

One last question. How did you acclimate him to his new home?

9. Lantonor New Member Member

I put the bag I had him in and floated it for 10 minutes, then every 5-10 minutes after that i'd put a bit of the tank water in the bag so he'd get acclimated to the water chemistry. After about an hour of him in the bag I put him the tank.

10. Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Well. To look that good one day and be dead the next we will never know what happened. I thought for sure it would be an oxygen issue but, I just don’t know. I’m sorry. :(

11. Lantonor New Member Member

It's okay, thank you for your help anyways!

12. Repolie Well Known Member Member

My theory is that he died from stress because of transitioning from different environments. It could've been too much to handle.

13. Lantonor New Member Member

Is there anything I can do to make the transition easier if I get another betta? Is there a proper way to acclimate a betta?

14. Repolie Well Known Member Member

It sounds like you already know how to acclimate them so that's fine. Indian almond leaves have therapeutic and antiseptic properties with their tannins so adding those will help.