Does this betta look healthy? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by bettaloulou, Apr 7, 2010.

1. bettaloulou

bettaloulouValued MemberMember

Hi all,

Im starting up my first betta tank (5 gal, planted) and working on getting it cycled now. Ive come to this forum a lot during the process for help on what to do. Now I've found a fish on Aquabid that I really like and placed a bid on, but I can see a bump on its side. I know betta's can get tumors, do you think that is what this is? Or is it just his tail muscle? Please take a look and give me our opinion. Thanks so much!

Ive attached a pic.

Attached Files:

2. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Hello bettaloulou and welcome to Fishlore!
    Careful getting into bettas, they are super addicitive! My hubby brought home one and we are now at 10! Gorgeous boy you've chosen. IMO he looks about as healthy as he can get. The bump actually looks like his swim bladder, and that looks perfectly normal to me. Good luck with your bidding! :)

3. Martinismommy

MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

He's a nice red male.....Who is the seller?

4. OP
    OP
    bettaloulou

Thanks! I've been looking for a while now.

Farmfish66...youre not gonna outbid me are you? ;D

They have good reviews, but their profile is also very simlar with the same wording as a bunch of other sellers which seems a little weird, but maybe they just copy each other since they are trying to translate...

5. Martinismommy

Not hardly I have 500 of my own lol

6. OP
    OP
    bettaloulou

haha yeah i posted that as a joke, now i see how funny that actually is!

So, he looks healthy?

7. Martinismommy

I don't like the bump but other than that yes....

8. OP
    OP
    bettaloulou

So I looked up swim bladder and I was able to find an article with a picture of a healthy betta with a similar bump is posted. The writer says that you can see a little bump on most bettas from their swim bladder and thats normal.

This makes me feel a little better....

9. Martinismommy

Swim bladder is not a pretty thing to deal with.....You may want to think twice before bidding on him...

10. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Idk MM are you sure its swim bladder? He looks like he has a tumor to me....

11. Martinismommy

I don't know what it is but I don't like that bump that's for sure..

12. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Personally he is pretty...but with that bump its a risk...who knows what it could be. Idk...

13. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I saw him on Aquabid as well. The reason I skipped over him was because of the bump. I wasn't even thinking swim bladder (glad MM thought of that). My mother has had a few bettas that had tumors (she's no longer keeping bettas) and it was not fun for them or us.

There are some beautiful red bettas on Aquabid right now. IMHO-I'd keep looking for one that doesn't have a bump.

14. OP
    OP
    bettaloulou

Oh no! I thought he was okay (not a swim bladder disorder, just normal swim bladder bump) from reading that article. I already placed a bid, what can I do now? Can I cancel it? Im not too worried about my feedback, becasue i only plan on buying the one betta for this tank....

Ugh this has been a stressful day! I was looking at my tank and noticed a couple tiny (1-2 millimeters) snails. After some research, Im pretty sure they are pond snails. I thought I had ordered my plants from a reputable seller, they had a ton of positive feedback, but i screwed up because I didnt treat the plants before adding them to the tank. I plucked the one snail i could find out, and Ill be buying some lettuce tomorrow to attract them so I can get them out without disrupting my cycle.

Well thanks for your feedback. Its better to know now before i get the fish that he doesnt look healthy, I just need to try to find a way out of the auction now. :;smack

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  15. leeishomValued MemberMember

im also going into the betta keeping, really nice bettas that supplier has to offer.

16. pamd

pamdWell Known MemberMember

bettaloulou,

He's a showy, flashy, near-solid red. Favorites!

Regarding the auction, perhaps I can only wish you get outbid. That's about the only way out after bidding. On the other hand, I would be happy for you if you win him, because he IS such a gorgeous red!

He doesn't look 100% healthy.

One thing besides a possible tumor is his backbone doesn't look straight enough. But MM or other experts might very well correct me on this.

17. Martinismommy

I would not worry about this....I'm sure he'll be fine......Most likely you will get outbid anyway.....Nice reds are hard to come by......As far as his topline (back bone) I think it is fine.....A little bit of a curve but nothing to worry about.....He really is a beautiful red.....

18. Martinismommy

If you get outbid here is another gorgeous red in the States from a seller I would trust....Now this is a NICE red male! I may just have to bid on him lol

19. OP
    OP
    bettaloulou

Thanks MM. Yes, he is beautiful. I always worry that when the color is that bright that the photos have been doctored. lol So its good to know they are a trustworthy breeder.

I did ask the Thai seller if he could send me more pics or a video, so we can get a better look at that bump, and he replied saying that he will send another pic tomorrow. You're right, he really is gorgeous, so if i dont get outbid, i'll take it as a sign that he is meant to be my boy and hope for the best.

Oh, and snail update. I emailed the seller and she said that its almost impossible to get plants without snails, and if she would have realized that I was new at this she would have told me that. I guess I just freaked out a little. My husband was actually excited when he saw them cause he is bored with the empty tank lol. Really I guess Im fine with a few snails to keep algea at bay, I just hope I can keep them from taking over...:;snail

20. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Good luck, I began with 2 little hijacker snails, they don't stay at 2 for very long!!!
    I do love that second boy good luck, hope you get outbid (not in a bad way though of course) so you can set your sights on the other one!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice