Does The Penn Plax Small World Filter Actually Work?

FancyBubbles

I have this as a secondary filter for my second tank, my main filter is a Tetra whisper filter, so I don't have many worries about whether this filter actually works or not. I'm not bothered by the noise, as I already have noise coming from my sponge filter from my betta tank (Mostly the sound of the bubbles). Filter, air pump, and bubble noise I'm not bothered by at all.

Though I'm just curious. Normally the cartridges for the penn plax have to be replaced every 2-4 weeks. Well, wanting to save money, I broke the top and bottom of the cartridge, inserted fluval ceramic rings after the carbon was done, and also used a different filter media. I inserted another half of the size of the filter media, so it could be up against the opening where the bubbles pass by (filter media was a 'cut to fit' type of thing. Came in one large piece). Thinking it would create some suction. But honestly I don't see any suction actually happening. One time during a partial water change, I forgot to "surface clean" my sand before cleaning the sand, so the mulm went everywhere. I see no mulm getting sucked in by the small world filter.

I use a different siphon for cleaning/sifting the sand, one with a longer end so the sand won't get sucked up.

Leilio

It kinda worked for me, as I clean our gunks from the filter every other week, but most of the build-up is just dirt and stuff. What bothered me about it is how the big bubbles would come out to the top and make things extra noisy. I switched to an airstone driven sponge filter afterwards, so far so good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
hope4fish
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
cadd
Replies