Question Does the area under the gills look normal?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks a little red? Also looks like you have some dying plant leaves in there which could b causing a bit of ammonia which is in turn causing some ammonia burns on your fish. What are your ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph numbers?

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Looks a little red? Also looks like you have some dying plant leaves in there which could b causing a bit of ammonia which is in turn causing some ammonia burns on your fish. What are your ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph numbers?
My ammonia and nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are 10. My pH is 7.2. I thought the whiteish bit under the gills could have been something. Yeah, I have been trying to save that plant for a while now.

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Looks like a melon sword? Have u places root tabs under it or do u dose any ferts... a closer pic may help I’m not a disease or illness pro but with better pics maybe A201 can be more help
The plant is an Echinodorus reni. The camera on my phone is really bad, i've been trying to get better pictures for a while now and these are the best ones. Hopefully, that user or anyone can help me out.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't determine much from the pic. If the white blemish is something new, then it might be a concern.
A white or gray patch could be Columnaris, a bacterial infection. If the white spot is fuzzy or cotton-like, then it might be a fungus covered abrasion or a secondary fungul infection to Columnaris.
If the fish is still eating and otherwise acting normally, hopefully no problem.

OP
Thomas369

Thomas369

Reaction score
A201 said:
I can't determine much from the pic. If the white blemish is something new, then it might be a concern.
A white or gray patch could be Columnaris, a bacterial infection. If the white spot is fuzzy or cotton-like, then it might be a fungus covered abrasion or a secondary fungul infection to Columnaris.
If the fish is still eating and otherwise acting normally, hopefully no problem.
It's been like this for a few weeks now and the gills were red. I treated with meds for parasites and that didn't help so I tried antI bacterial meds and still nothing. I have lost a couple fish who had the red gills too which is what I am worried about. It all started when I got the yellow one. She is eating okay though.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bet you are tired of dosing meds. IMO, when an unexplainable die off occurs, its probably best to remove any symptomatic fish and treat in QT tank or euthanize. That gives the apparent healthy tank mates a better chance for survival.
Hope things get better soon.

New Threads