Does tetra safestart work?

1. Jren

Jren Valued Member Member

hi all! im a complete newbie here and im starting a freshwater aquarium. im thinking of using tetra safestart as they say that you can add fish a day after. so my questions are:
    1) does it work?
    2) how do i use it?
    3) any tips?

thanks and have a nice day!

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

3. Aludar

Aludar Valued Member Member

Currently in the process of cycling a 36g bowfront having used TSS and in comparison to a 5g that I wanted to cycle at the same time w/o I can see a difference in the stages of the cycling process. Just remember with or without fish and with or without a bacterial starter...patience is key. Good luck in your future fishy endeavors and welcome to the forums.:;rocker

4. OP
    OP
    Jren

i gonna get a 20 gallon tank. how many cories do u think i can add in ahha

thanks!

5. Aquaphobia

I would not cycle a tank with cories, not even using TSS. They're a bit sensitive. What other fish were you thinking of stocking?

6. OP
    OP
    Jren

neon tetras, a dwarf gourami and maybe a few guppies if im not overstocking

actually thinking of a bn pleco as well but im not sure how to take care of them ahaha

7. Aquaphobia

Neon tetras have different temperature requirements than the other fish on your list. Also not sure if a 20 is big enough for a BN Pleco, I think they need 29 gallons.

Maybe you could start with the guppies, maybe 2 to 4 in a 20 depending on size, and when your tank is cycled you can start adding other fish:)

8. OP
    OP
    Jren

are there any other tetras with the same temperature range for my fish? i probably wont add a bn pleco as they seem to have many needs haha

9. Aquaphobia

Definitely! Glowlight tetras and Black Neon tetras are two that spring to mind because I have them;)

Pleco are awesome and there may be some kinds that would work in your tank. I have a BN that's super small but she's a lot of fun! They do produce a lot of waste though so will take up a lot of your bioload capacity.

10. OP
    OP
    Jren

ill probably consider them next time ahaha when im more experienced. what temperature do you suggest keeping the dwarf gourami, corydoras, guppies and tetras at?

11. Aquaphobia

I keep my tetras at 78-82F. When you choose your Cory species be sure to look up their temperature requirements, too! Some prefer cool water like the neons;)

12. OP
    OP
    Jren

omg thanks!!! the panda cories i was interested in would have suffered in the tank :(

13. Aquaphobia

You could always change your stocking plan to cooler water species;)

14. OP
    OP
    Jren

guppies, neons and panda cories are cooler water species right? its only the dwarf gourami which i dont know what to replace with haiz

15. Aquaphobia

I'm not sure that the dwarf gourami needs replacing tbh! I've been looking around the site and some of the dwarf species may be OK, including honey gourami. Other fish that might work include American Flagfish and some species of killifish like Golden Wonder.
    Anders247?

16. OP
    OP
    Jren

wait, if the dwarf gourami doesnt need to be replaced, then what needs to be replaced??

17. Aquaphobia

Well, it depends on the species of dwarf gourami that you choose. There are several;)

18. OP
    OP
    Jren

19. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Dwarf gouramis better can be kept on te cool site as well. Higher temps trigger matingbehaviour and make them to be worn out cause of that.

Btw : I think we're keeping a lot of fish to warm (over a longer period of time).
    Only my cardinal tank is heathed.
    Blackskirts, Silvertips, several types of Cory, BN's are i. Unheathed tanks that vary from 17/18C in winter to 30C in summer. All are thriving

20. Aquaphobia

Wow, that's quite the range DoubleDutch! Good to know. Guess it depends on where you live whether you really need a heater.