Does Temp effect a fishes temperment?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tatty_kassy, Mar 26, 2010.

1. tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy Valued Member Member

Hello!
    I was wondering if a temperature change can effect a fishes behavior? I noticed when I got home from work last night that one of my Tetras was literally chasing every single fish that came near him, and was actively patrolling the tank and terrorizing everything. The temp was about 79, normally its about 76-77.
    Is that normal? He didn't hurt any of the others, but its something I have never seen any of the fish do, even the Danios. The temp is back down to 76 this morning, and things look normal again, hes docile and interacting with the other Tetras peacefully.

What happened??:;dk

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Not sure if it's scientific..... I know that I certainly get cranky when I'm overheated. ;)

If the tank temp changed quickly, then yes, you'd see a behavior change. Fish do not like a sudden change. I believe you're usually safe within a 2-3 degree difference, though. Someone can correct me if I do not understand that correctly.

When I had to up my tank temp from 75-77 range to 82 range to treat ich, I did notice that most of my fish got irritable. They've calmed considerably since that treatment is over and the tank parameters are back to normal.

3. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

So they get grumpy when they're too warm?

Does it hurt them? I am pretty sure it was gradual because the heat was left on higher in the house and the window was closed, so I think the overly warm place made the tank a degree or two warmer, but it wouldn't of happened quickly.

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm just saying that my fish were crabby patties during the higher temp during ich treatment. :;2cents

Actually, the temperature of your home shouldn't have affected the temp of the tank unless it's extremely hot, like during summer. Are you sure your heater isn't going wonky?

5. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I read an article in tfh or afi and it was about fish temeperments and temps. Yes temps do affect temperments of fish. I'll try to find it.

6. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

Thank you!

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It would make sence that higher temps may make them a little more agressive. Fish are cold blooded animals. In a lower temperature environment their matabolism slows down. In a warmer environment their matabolism speeds up. I would think at a higher metabolic rate the fish would be more agressive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice