Does Tank size =/= Fish 'change' discomfort

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a Betta in a 5g, any change I make seems to bother him immensely. Even to the point that 1 plant changed out left him hiding in a corner. The moment I switched it back out he was swimming around as though nothing happened.

I had another Betta in a 10 gallon and neither she nor the other fish in there, cared if I did a COMPLETE redo of the interior.

In others experience is this a fish issue, a tank size/fish issue or something else entirely?

I'm wondering if the size of the tank vs the change made would affect things as well. In a 50 gallon tank moving 3 or 4 plants is nothing, doing that in a 5 gallon is a much bigger deal overall.

sparklepixie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I honeslty think it has to do the with the betta's personality. I have six currently, they each are different and unique. One flares and throws a tantrum when something isn't the way he likes it, where others are 'eh whatever'. I have one that will build a bubble nest like no one's business, then when he's put back into the tank he goes straight to where it was to see if it's still there. Most of the time, he'll get angry when he sees it's been torn apart by the water change and go about building it again.

Are you redoing his tank while he is in it? I did notice once when I left one in and was moving things around, he did not like it. Usually I remove them during a water change, then temp match their plastic holding container and let them swim out into fresh water.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you're right about the size having an affect on it but I also agree with pixie about it having to do with the individual betta. They have such big personalities for such small fish.

Disglerio

Reaction score
You have the Russian Blue(cat breed) of fish. Purebred Russians hate change with a firey passion, and while most cats will adapt to any minor furniture change quickly and major moves in a few weeks, a Russian will still be mad at you for moving the couch he doesn't even sleep on 2 inches years later.

Your fish likes things a certain way, you could leave it changed for a while and see if he decides new is ok, or just leave it the same forever and keep him happy.

New Threads