Does Shubunkin Goldfish look “Normal”

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Shubunkin Goldfish and was wondering if she looks “Normal” I don’t know if her belly looks too bloated, but if it’s normal, someone please tell me, and if not, is there anything I can do? She used to have clamped fins but she’s doing well now :)
271008A2-2AC7-4ABD-ACDF-D52814BDF9AD.jpeg

7347A475-A8C2-4373-AB8B-95FA226F0FFF.jpeg
69110924-8ADF-4078-A7CF-CD257622CE4D.jpeg

OP
Donkeyhobo3

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bgntoc said:
She looks a tad bit bloated. I wouldn't say shes a shubunkin tho.
Really /: my whole life was a lie Lol. I got her from Petco, I said “I wanted that one” ,I guess the lady didn’t know what she was

Donovan Jones said:
Might be a calico nymph. Basically a one tailed fantail.
Thank you for the name, let me look it up. I’m also thinking if maybe she’s pregnant? I used to have a male but he passed away

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donkeyhobo3 said:
Thank you for the name, let me look it up. I’m also thinking if maybe she’s pregnant? I used to have a male but he passed away
Goldfish are egg layers, they can't be pregnant, a male would have to fertilize the eggs AFTER she has layed them. If she is acting normal however shes probably fine.

Btw, regarding the bloat, Donkeyhobo3, could you please tell me what you are feeding her?

OP
Donkeyhobo3

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bgntoc said:
Goldfish are egg layers, they can't be pregnant, a male would have to fertilize the eggs AFTER she has layed them. If she is acting normal however shes probably fine.
Oh okay, because idk if I read an article wrong, that the eggs could get stuck inside or something like that. But now that I know she’s not a Shubunkin, she does look more like a Nymph, like Donovan

BlueBubba2020

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bgntoc said:
She looks a tad bit bloated. I wouldn't say shes a shubunkin tho.
I agree with bgntoc, she does look bloated.

And PS: I love your profile pic Donkeyhobo3 :cat:

OP
Donkeyhobo3

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BlueBubba2020 said:
I agree with bgntoc, she does look bloated.

And PS: I love your profile pic Donkeyhobo3 :cat:
Lol thank you

bgntoc said:
Btw, regarding the bloat, Donkeyhobo3, could you please tell me what you are feeding her?

Attachments

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh, if its possible, i would recommend switching her food. Top fin doesn't seem to have the best ingredients, I would recommend repashy gel food since its easier on the fish's digestive system. However, its a bit pricey(and I don't want to make you waste money on something that might not even work for you and your fish). Hikari sinking pellets are also good, but again its slightly more expensive. If you want a more affordable option, i would go with bug bites goldfish formula. The reason why I say this is because your goldfish looks a little bloated, and bloat is mostly caused by low-quality fish food. I would also supplement veggies once in a while(make sure to do research on it first though), and possibly eggs if you don't have brine shrimp. Be careful though, since eggs are pretty messy. I hope this helps.

OP
Donkeyhobo3

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bgntoc said:
Oh, if its possible, i would recommend switching her food. Top fin doesn't seem to have the best ingredients, I would recommend repashy gel food since its easier on the fish's digestive system. However, its a bit pricey(and I don't want to make you waste money on something that might not even work for you and your fish). Hikari sinking pellets are also good, but again its slightly more expensive. If you want a more affordable option, i would go with bug bites goldfish formula. The reason why I say this is because your goldfish looks a little bloated, and bloat is mostly caused by low-quality fish food. I would also supplement veggies once in a while(make sure to do research on it first though), and possibly eggs if you don't have brine shrimp. Be careful though, since eggs are pretty messy. I hope this helps.
What type of eggs do you mean btw? Does the Hikari Pellets go straight to the bottom or stay above the water for a minute or something like that. At most ill look into gel food. I also I heard maybe peas are good, can I try that? Aaaalso, I feed her blood worms here and there from Tetra. Thank you for the tip tho

OP
Donkeyhobo3

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't believe so but that was one of my concerns. She doesn't have spiked up scales like a pine cone. At least that what I was told to look out for if she has Dropsy. Let me get a new updated picture of her now, because those pictures were from 2 weeks ago lol. I also forgot to add that I bought her Vitachem and her fins seem to be doing great!

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
Donkeyhobo3 said:
I don't believe so but that was one of my concerns. She doesn't have spiked up scales like a pine cone. At least that what I was told to look out for if she has Dropsy. Let me get a new updated picture of her now, because those pictures were from 2 weeks ago lol. I also forgot to add that I bought her Vitachem and her fins seem to be doing great!
thats just the last stage of dropsy. another stage is of they r floating or sinking? also very bloated

OP
Donkeyhobo3

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is there a cure? I heard Epsom Salt cold work but it can be dangerous. I also bought Paragaurd and Prazipro incase she had parasites. So far tho shes energetic and is always seeking out food. She used to spit out food but now she doesn't do it as often.

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
Donkeyhobo3 said:
Is there a cure? I heard Epsom Salt cold work but it can be dangerous. I also bought Paragaurd and Prazipro incase she had parasites. So far tho shes energetic and is always seeking out food. She used to spit out food but now she doesn't do it as often.
so basically its just caused by bad water conditions so if u keep tjem in good water quality i think thats the best cure and prevention. and i havent read everything on this thread so im not sure if u explained it or not but is ur tank cycled? how big is the tank? whats ur ammonia nitrite nitrate levels? ideally ammonia and nitrite should be 0 and nitrate should be low as possible but ideally under 20 ppm

OP
Donkeyhobo3

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its a 10G tank but I'm getting a 20G Long later this month I hope. Ammonia is 0 but I don't know about Nitrate. I only have the liquid test kit for ammonia. I have a HoB with a 3 step process. Sponge on bottom, Floss in middle and Bio Rings on top for healthy bacteria. One day I am thinking in investing in a master kit but I don't have the extra money for it

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donkeyhobo3 said:
What type of eggs do you mean btw? Does the Hikari Pellets go straight to the bottom or stay above the water for a minute or something like that. At most ill look into gel food. I also I heard maybe peas are good, can I try that? Aaaalso, I feed her blood worms here and there from Tetra. Thank you for the tip tho
Boiled egg. It can be really messy though. The hikari pellets sink I believe, but it doesn't really matter. Imo, the peas thingy is a myth, but you can try if you want. Blood worms are pretty good, but make sure not to feed them too often. Hope this helps. Also, whats your water changing routine?

OP
Donkeyhobo3

Donkeyhobo3

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bgntoc said:
Boiled egg. It can be really messy though. The hikari pellets sink I believe, but it doesn't really matter. Imo, the peas thingy is a myth, but you can try if you want. Blood worms are pretty good, but make sure not to feed them too often. Hope this helps. Also, whats your water changing routine?
Every week on Friday’s. 40-60% water change. I use Seachem Prime and Vitachem. Also with the boiled eggs, do I feed the white or yellow part?

New Threads