does salt float??? Question

1. Betafish305ca Member Member

:;ufo

I hope I'm not the only person to ever wonder this, but does salt float? :;dk
    I know that the salt from your kitchen and the kind you put into a fishtank are different kinds.... But the regualr salt in a kitchen usually sinks to the bottom of my cup, does this happen with aquarium salt? If so, how do you keep it 'up', or 'floating'

thx every1

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Salt sinks in water. Even the very fine salt sinks as it dissolves in water. It would float if you have it in a liquid with a greater density than salt... maybe some type of oil.

3. click Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure I understand your question. Why do you need your salt to float?

4. Betafish305ca Member Member

i'm curious as to how salt water stays "salty"

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

It becomes saltwater when salt dissolves in the water.

6. Betafish305ca Member Member

oh, okay... does evapuration make salt water = fresh water?

7. click Well Known Member Member

No, because it's the water that evaporates, the salt stays behind. As the water evaporates, the remaining water becomes more salty because the salt is still there but dissolved in less water.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

NO salt does not dissipate...only with water changes....if any fw tank uses it, its highly recommended to have a hydrometer as your salt levels can get way too high over time...

:;tmnt click :;nw:;tmnt

9. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Yep. This happens in my brackish tank. By the end of the week, 5g has evaporated and my salinity has risen slightly. I imagine after a few months, if I never did water changes and added water, it would become fully saltwater.

10. Betafish305ca Member Member

okay, thansk every1 for your replies... i'm just wondering cause what keeps salt water still have salt in it... by what i mean is, what keeps the salt in salt water from sinking right to the bottom??????

11. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

It dissolves.

12. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

if you don't know what dissolving is take a glass of water and add some sugar or salt... stir and it"disappears" its still in there but has mixed with the water.

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

And then drink a sip - if it all sank, you wouldn't taste any of it. You are tasting the part that has dissolved into the water.

14. space traveler Initiate Member

oooooo ooooo I know the answer to this 1!!!
    But they already answered it,but if you want a more scientific explanation and/or break down of the process,I could give it a try.

15. Betafish305ca Member Member

okay space travelor

16. space traveler Initiate Member

When salt is put in water, the sodium and chloride atoms are pulled apart by the water. The salt disappears.When enough salt has been added,more than the water can absorb (imagine a liquid absorbing a solid = creating a solute solution) it becomes saturated and unable to dissolve anymore salt or any other substance. The remaining particulates = smaller particulates will float while heavier,denser particulates will sink.

So technically,salt can float in salt water. :;laughing

Evaporation would make fresh water,if the evaporated water was recovered, such as a rain cloud.

The water left in the container would be more saline, while the water that evaporated would have no salt content at all.

So yet again,evaporation does create fresh water while the remaining water that hasn't evaporated remains salty(er)

:animal0068:Hello I've merged your posts since there was not a response between. There is an "Edit" key at the bottom of every post that you can use in cases like this (no response) and also for corrections.
    Thanks!
    Ken

17. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

wew!! I am glad my wife doesn't read these!!. She's still baffled on how a steel ship can float. I've even shown her demostrations on how the water displacement works.....but the word "steel" always comes back to haunt her....lololol

18. Betafish305ca Member Member

is there a video or site you use to show her 'TedsTank' ?
    thanks 'space travelor' for the explanation