Does Purigen Remove Flourish?

Onewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Depending on how much tannin staining my new driftwood pieces cause I may want to use Purigen to deal with the dark/yellow tannin, however I don't want to remove the Seachem Flourish fertilizer. Does Purigen absorb Flourish fertilizer?

Thanks.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it works as claimed then yes. Fertilizer is mostly comprised of nitrogen waste. So any product that claims to remove nitrogen waste would certainly be limiting ferts. An easy experiment would be test for Nitrates before dosing then test immediately after. I expect you see a rise in Nitrates after dosing. Then test a set amount of hours running pyrogens vs without. That should give you a basic answer.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
it shouldn't.

Seachem - Purigen

I’m using Purigen® but my nitrate is still high. What’s going wrong?
A: Purigen® will remove organics before they can be converted by bacteria into ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, resulting in lowered nitrate concentrations over time, but it will not directly remove these chemicals from the water. If your nitrate is high, we would recommend carrying out a partial water change and utilizing Matrix™ or de❊nitrate™ biomedia to house anaerobic denitrifying bacteria that will remove nitrate from your water.

Purigen & Carbon effect on Seachem fertilising range - Seachem Support Forums
Thanks for the post and sorry if the first post was a bit confusing. Purigen is only going to remove nitrogenous organic waste from mainly fish waste and uneaten food. Purien will not remove anything else in the tank, so you don't need to worry about it removing any of the fertilizers that you are adding for your plants. MatrixCarbon is a very unique carbon that has a very low iodine number, therefore, will have very minimal, if any, impact on the elements you are adding with the Flourish range of products. Other carbons on the market have a higher potential to remove the beneficial elements you are adding due to their pore structure.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Skavatar said:
it shouldn't.

Seachem - Purigen

I’m using Purigen® but my nitrate is still high. What’s going wrong?
A: Purigen® will remove organics before they can be converted by bacteria into ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, resulting in lowered nitrate concentrations over time, but it will not directly remove these chemicals from the water. If your nitrate is high, we would recommend carrying out a partial water change and utilizing Matrix™ or de❊nitrate™ biomedia to house anaerobic denitrifying bacteria that will remove nitrate from your water.

Purigen & Carbon effect on Seachem fertilising range - Seachem Support Forums
Thanks for the post and sorry if the first post was a bit confusing. Purigen is only going to remove nitrogenous organic waste from mainly fish waste and uneaten food. Purien will not remove anything else in the tank, so you don't need to worry about it removing any of the fertilizers that you are adding for your plants. MatrixCarbon is a very unique carbon that has a very low iodine number, therefore, will have very minimal, if any, impact on the elements you are adding with the Flourish range of products. Other carbons on the market have a higher potential to remove the beneficial elements you are adding due to their pore structure.
So much misinformation by Seachem admin and so confusing:

One answer states " Flourish line of products are designed to be rapidly taken up and utilized by the plants" while another Admin answer few posts later: "Flourish comprehensive and Flourish trace....these types of nutrients do not get utilized quite as quickly by plants..."

Also: what is a Carbon with a very low iodine number?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom