Okay thanks. I don’t have any melafix on me but I can get it. Do you think I should move it to a hospital tank or just let him heal himselfFishGirl38 said:Well, HITH is typically a parasitic infection - pimafix treats fungal infections. Honestly, I don't think it will help much. I can say with confidence that it won't help with HITH if that's what you're thinking it is. It WILL help keep away any secondary fungal infections to the area though. BUT, fungal infections typically break out in tanks where the water parameters aren't being kept in check. If you keep up on your water changes, than a fungal infection isn't very likely to occur (even as a secondary infection).
I recently left my 2 cents on another thread where the OP was worried their angel was dealing with HITH because it had minor lesions/holes at the lateral line.
I almost want to say this looks like he might have scratched himself on something. Is the area white and fuzzy at all? It doesn't appear to look white or fuzzy, If it starts getting fuzzy, I'd bet its something of a bacterial infection. Of which, melafix will help with (though, it's more of an all natural preventative and personally, I would recommend something stronger like erythromycin (gram positive) OR Minocycline (gram negative)
Thanks for the help. I’ll keep watching him and update this hopefully once he’s healed, but if I need more help too.FishGirl38 said:If it IS just a scrape, and he's eating, and acting normal otherwise (despite the spot) and it doesn't look infected (red, raw, or white/fuzzy) than I would leave him be.
If you start to notice a raw look to it, or it gets any worse around the edges opposed to better soon, than I would look into moving him and medicating with a bacterial medication (for sure). A parasitic (HITH) med might be called for then too, but I'm still leaning towards gram negative bacterial...(as a first go to) just because HITH is typically not all THAT common, especially not in angels? least not ime.
But, as it looks now I'm not sure you should QT just yet, the transfer might stress him enough to cause an infection. Wait and see for tomorrow or the next day. I hope he keeps eating and gets better. .