Does one NEED a air stone or can one do with out in a 10 gal?

andy65
does one NEED a air stone or can one do with out in a 10 gal?

I think my tank will have some tetras or barbs but I have really no clue what I am going to put in it. any suggestions?

thanks

jack11
no you don't need an air stone or bubble wand, they are generally for looks but do add some oxygen to the water, however a vast majority of tanks do not need one.

armadillo
Indeed. But you do need oxygen, though. And one good way of getting that is to turn the filter output at such an angle that it will make the water ripple. Agitation on the water surface will ensure that gases are exchanged between the outside and the water.

COBettaCouple
I'd not run a tank without an air stone or bubble wand.

Neville
1 undergravel filter is enough in a 10 gallon for filtration and oxygen, but airstones make the tank look better. I wanted some barbs too but fishlore pals say 10 gallon is too small for barbs..........

COBettaCouple
What type of filter do you have?

andy65
the filter is a HOB, it a power whisper, it uses the tetra filter bag things.

COBettaCouple
cool, that does provide some aeration, but I'd still run an airstone.

swords3711
there might not be a reason for having an air pump if your filter kicks out enough. I don't use an air pump on my 10 gallon with swords and a cory

jsalemi
I run an air pump on my 10g, but mainly because it looks neat and the corys love to play in the bubbles.

COBettaCouple
yea, Cory are such clowns with bubbles. They're definitely a fun fish to have a flexible bubble wand with.

lyndatu
An airstone or bubble wand isn't really complementary.......it's only optional.......but it does have a few benefits like providing extra oxygen, for design, and to make the water move/ripple. I had an 8 gallon freshwater before with very weak water movement and it ended up getting moldy! But it's just optional.

0morrokh
I personally wouldn't say you have to have an air stone. The only tanks I ever use them in are divided tanks which don't have a filter in every section (I put an air stone in the unfiltered section to keep the surface of the water from filming over). I think your hob would provide enough oxygen for your tank but air stones do look nice and a lot of fish like playing in them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi
Replies
Views
Rockfella
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies