Does My Tank Look Cycled? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by esqueff, Aug 19, 2019.

1. esqueff

esqueffValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hello all!! I’ve been keeping fish for 5 years now in a 55 gallon tank! I only used test strips for that aquarium but ran out a few years ago. I have since learned on fish lore that api master test kit is pretty much the most accurate test so I finally bought one.

I’ve been recently setting up a fluval 6 gallon tank to hold hopefully a few cpds in the next little bit. When starting out this tank I grabbed some ceramic rings and a little filter floss from two of my giant canister filters on the 55 to put Into this brand new filter. My friend needed to find a home for two female guppies as he was taking down a tank and starting up a new one. So it took them off his hands. Those have been in the 6 gallon tank for 3 days now and have seemed very happy so far. I do plan to probably rehome them to the 55 before I get the celestial pearl danios as I know it isn’t the best to have them in a 6 gallon tank.
    Okay onto the test!
    My Ph tested at 8.1
    Amonnia looks like it’s possibly .25? Not too sure..
    I have 0 nitrites
    And I’d say around 5-10 nitrates
    I also Tested the tap water for nitrates and it appears to be a little less than 5?

I’m just a little confused as to why it appears I have a very small amount of ammonia but no nitrites at all and more nitrates from the tank water compared to the tap water. What do you guys think?? Thank you so much for all the help I’ve found so far on this forum!!

The order is: Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Tap water nitrates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +223
    I'm no expert, but it looks to me like 0.25, 0, 5 and <5, ammo, nitrites, nitrates, and tap.

The obvious question, do you vigorously shake nitrate #2 at least 30 seconds, and shake the nitrate test for a full minute?

3. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Beautiful tank !

I just started my seeded 5 gallon Betta tank 4 days ago. If you want to look at my parameters and compare, here it is.

Betta Tank Cycling (seeded)

How long has the tank been running ? If it weren’t for the ammonia, I would say it’s cycled but because of it I’m not sure. Have you gone through a nitrite spike yet ? If not, it might be coming. I had mine at 4 days (today).

I know lots of people say the API master kit is the best, but I’ve been told otherwise by a company that makes plant fertilizer. They recommended Nutrafin and said the API test is not reliable.

4. OP
    OP
    esqueff

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 years
    I did shake them a lot but probably not a full minute. I will shake even more and retest. And no I didn’t see a nitrite spike because I just barely got the kit today :/

5. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Back to the old problem of API ammonia test being accurate to+/-.025. We did this topic to death in a couple of threads and because API measures ammonia and ammonium it very often gives a reading of .025 even when there is no ammonia in the water.

Try the ammonia test on your tap water and you will probably get.025 as well.

6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,024
    Experience:
    2 years
    I think its safe to say you are cycled. The tap water nitrate seems a shade lighter which is telling me there are nitrates in your tank and your good to go for your CPD's. Keep us updated and add more pics! thats a great looking setup. Good luck!!

7. OP
    OP
    esqueff

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 years
    Once again thanks for all your replies!! I am happy to say I think it’s definitely cycled!! I just tested for ammonia in the tap water and it’s coming back as the exact same shade as the tank water. Definitely just giving a slight false reading when in reality neither have ammonia! I will keep testing every day for the next few days to see if anything changes. But heck yeah! Im excited to order some CPD’s!!

Picture is of ammonia test. Tank water vs
    Tap water

[​IMG]

8. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,024
    Experience:
    2 years
    Congrats! be sure to keep the BB fed till you get the stock in your tank. And as others have said it seems the Api Ammonia tests new zero is .25

9. OP
    OP
    esqueff

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 years
    Just another quick update. I redid all the tests again (this time I really shook the bottles vigorously for at least a minute) and I got all the same results!! Very happy to see its cycled!! Definitely same ammonia reading compared to tap- looks like 0.25 (in reality it’s 0), 0 Nitrites and more nitrates in tank water compared to tap! Thanks for the help fishlore!!