Does my pleco hate me?

TheNacho

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've had my pleco for a year, and I've seen videos of people hand feeding and even touching (booping) their plecos. My pleco freaks out whenever my hand comes too much close to him, and even does that thing where his body turns partially pale (I've read its like camouflage against predators) when I look at him for too long.

Do plecos get more docile with time or is it just personality? I would love to have him trust me (or at least not hate me), but he doesn't seem to be warming up to me...

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
I've had my bristlenose pleco for just under 2 years now. She still hates human interaction unfortunately. If she's sitting on a rock while I'm watching the tank and I happen to look directly at her she swims away. I think it comes down to personality, as my BN is also much more aggressive than other people tend to describe theirs as

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar tolerates me. If he is chowing down on his zucchini he pretty well ignores me and stays where he is even when I am watching him. Other times the second he sees me he zips to is favorite hiding place. Little Red and Evelyn (super red plecos) have never warmed up to me and hide the second they see me.

Back before I had to rehome Jethro, my common pleco, I could actually pet him. I didn't have to net him to move him. I could just reach in and pick him up. That came in handy the day I had to take him to his forever home, a huge above ground pond.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My pleco is one of my oldest fish, I barely ever see him, let alone get the chance to put my hands near him. He dashes away if I come near into the same room that the tank is in. They just tend to be quite shy. Mine has always been like this, and likely will always continue to be like this.

Cherie G

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think what you are describing sounds like pretty normal behavior. My BN Pleco isn't as shy as yours sounds to be, but he does not hang around long if he sees me. Also I think plecos can be nocturnal so maybe they don't feel as safe when the lights are on and are more skittish. At any rate don't feel bad about it. :)

Shay1431

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my pleco Bubbles does shy away for me to but I been trying leaving my hand in the tank for a bit every now and then when I feed him he got a little used to it now. He will swim close by it but not close enough for me to touch him but i can't move unless I will scare him. He has been swimming to the top of the tank alot since then when i come and do feeding bit still shy away if I move in front of the way to fast. I think bot might take some time for him to actually get us to me

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have two bn plecos and ones always out but I rarely see the other, even during feeding time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen my pleco show any interest in my hand, it just runs away most of the time.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had plecos for over 20 years now and currently have 12 ( 7 in 1 tank ) and not 1 of them will even come close to letting me go near them.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom