Does My Platy Have Parasites?

1. K

Kyle22 New Member Member

My Female platy has lost a lot of mass. She still eats, but stays at the top of the tank and does not gain any size. She poops a stringy sumbstance, and sometimes there is bubbles in it. I circled the poop as it is hard to see. Ammonia and Nitrites are both at 0, Nitrates are between 10 and 20, Ph is at 8.4 Water temperature is at 78 degrees. The one where she is skinny is the current one. I have an airstone as well as the filter that came with the tank going. Also, every once in awhile she scratches her gills on the ornaments. I would like to know exactly what is going on.
    Anything helps, that you

Attached Files:

2. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

Definitely an internal parasite imo. Did you introduce her recently, have you introduced any new fish recently, how long has the tank been cycled and was she living in an uncycled tank?

3. Supreme Sawk

Also, what size is your tank and what other fish do you have?

4. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

She has something. Does she get bullied?

5. OP
    OP
    K

Kyle22 New Member Member

I have had the 10 gallon tank since beginning of November last year, she may have been put in the tank before cycle was complete. She was my first fish in the tank the last week of November. Little did I know the cycle takes longer than 2-3 weeks, I blame Petsmart for giving me that info. I have a Potbelly Molly that was born in the tank around January. took the mom back because she was a bully. and I also have a small algae eater. She also hasn't been getting bullied.

6. OP
    OP
    K

Kyle22 New Member Member

No she doesn't get bullied. She used to be the bully until she lost her size.

7. Supreme Sawk

Hmm. Prior to losing weight etc. did she get enough food?

8. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

If she has parasites what is the best way to treat it? I've heard garlic helps but what is the appropriate method?

9. Supreme Sawk

Although it's generally said to help I wouldn't waste my time on it. If she has lost a significant amount of weight then the parasite has already advanced and it's probably too late for her immune system alone to kill it. Her immune system is probably badly undernourished and hence not very functional. Plus, the parasites will probably just eat the garlic anyway. Long story short, if you want to treat it then treat it with an effective cure, not a natural ailment that doesn't even indirectly cure it.

As for treating it, I'm pretty sure you can treat it with medicated food. An anti-parasitic food should deal with it. Just make sure it says on the box/container it treats parasites. I don't think you'd need to take out any carbon that might be in the filter, as the medication is going inside the fish and not in the water.