Does my platy have ich or a fungal disease?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by coco, Aug 13, 2015.

1. coco

cocoNew MemberMember

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could help me identify what's wrong with two of my fish... The white one (as seen in 3/4 photos below) seems to be covered in what looks like bubbles all over her, and the other one (as seen in the last photo) only has them on her tail and front fins at the moment.

I've done a treatment for ich earlier today, because I've read that it - if left untreated, or treated too late - will definitely kill the fish, however I'm not sure if it is ich.

I got the white fish out into a small bowl yesterday, and some of the stuff came off of her when I stroked her which has made me think maybe it's fungal?, but it is all back again today.

I went to my LFS earlier, and they didn't know anything at all, they're so useless.
    I really have no idea what it is as the description for so many lethal things are so similar to one another. :(

Thanks in advance.

Pictures:
    (White fish)

• [*=1]
      [*=1]
      [*=1]
    (Other one)

• [*=1]

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Looks like ich to me. What did you use to treat it? You can also raise the temp of your tank to 84-86 F for two weeks.

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

4. OP
    OP
    coco

cocoNew MemberMember

Thanks both, I'm a lot happier knowing I've treated correctly now!

We've used an Interpet formula, and I've got to re-administer in 4 days time. I'll be doing 50% water changes too.

Should I still do the temperature thing? I read on your link that you wouldn't recommend mixing the two.

Thanks again

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

If you're treating with a chemical, don't raise the temp, like the link says :)

6. DioAquatics

DioAquaticsFishlore VIPMember

IME, medications havent done a single thing for me when dealing with ICH. Maybe I didnt administer it properly or something but I havent had any luck with it. The only thing that has ever worked is when I raise the temperature. I slowly increase the temperature to about 86 degrees and leave it like that for about 2 weeks. Then slowly bring it back to the normal temperature.

7. OP
    OP
    coco

cocoNew MemberMember

Thanks guys, unfortunately I woke up this morning to the yellow one dead stuck between the filter power adjuster dial and the casing, cannot believe that that's the way she's gone out :( it was such a freak accident, but it definitely wasn't the ich that did it at least... I have no idea how she did it, she must have reversed back into it and got herself wedged somehow...

The white one hasn't lost any appetite or anything, but she looks a lot worse, but I've read that it starts to look a lot worse before it looks better?