Does my male half moon betta have fin rot, or is it something else?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by TheMuffinMan, Jul 16, 2015.

1. T

TheMuffinMan New Member Member

I have a male half moon betta fish named Archimedes. I have had him for maybe 4 months now (I'm not good at keeping track of the date). About a week ago, I had noticed his fins were a bit torn and started to turn a bit red in some areas. He had also started to get small white blobs on his body. He also started to get a little less active about a month after I had gotten him. I had been searching for diseases and illnesses that could occur in a betta, and I have my mind set on fin rot. I am pretty new to betta fish and I want to make sure I am doing the right thing here. I decided to pick up a bottle of API Betta Fix ( ). I unplugged his filter gave him about a teaspoon of betta fix yesterday and today (I realized his tank is smaller than I thought, so I am going to give him half a teaspoon tomorrow). I want to make sure I am doing the right thing for Archimedes here, and this was the only website that seemed helpful. If anyone could give me some info about this, that would be great.

Also, I would like to know:
    - Does he really have fin rot or is it something else like ich?
    - Should I continue to give him betta fix and follow the instructions on the bottle?
    - Can betta fix harm him if he doesn't really have fin rot?
    20150716_070943[1].jpg 20150716_071029[1].jpg 20150716_071043[1].jpg 20150716_073119[1].jpg 20150716_073129[1].jpg

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!!! Good to have you here!

First off, what are your water parameters and tank size? I've never treated with those medications, so I really wouldn't know much about them.

3. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

Bettafix can work. Usually within 24 hours. It will give your betta the right amount of oil it needs to fix the fin

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

No you're not supposed to use bettafix/melafix on labyrinth fish, it's bad for them. Use only as a last resort!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    T

Okay, I wasn't expecting all these replies. I am not sure about the tank parameters and I still need to get a heater. Although, I do think the betta fix has helped. He is a lot more active, even more so than when I got him. I can't really say for sure that his fins are any better, but I am sure they will get better over time. And the betta fix thing was sort of a last resort, I am not sure about medication for bettas and I am very new to them. I just picked it up from pet co the other night.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  6. PuffPuff

like i stated, bettafix was able to repair the messed up fins on my biddies betta tank. i dont keep bettas myself but my buddy does and he swears by it. but its your tank. if you see it working, continue using just follow direction correctly.

7. Dom90

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    T

No worries bud. I got a bit scared until it said to USE betta fix. Thanks for the concern though :)

Also, just for future refernce, what exactly is a "labyrinth" fish and a "labyrinth" organ?

9. Dom90

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

This will explain it for you

11. OP
    OP
    T

Okay, thanks for the info, but back to the point of this thread. Based on the pictures, does he have fin rot or something? It may not even be fin rot, just torn fins from handling before I got him at the store.

12. PuffPuff

IMO, no. not fin rot

13. Dom90

I don't think it's fin rot... When my betta had fin rot a couple weeks ago, the fin really disappeared to almost nothing. Your betta still has a lot of tail fin so imo, it's not fin rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Are those really white "blobs" on your fish's body or is it possible that he has white scales? One of my bettas changed colour and is still changing several months later. He now has red blotches all over his body but it's just his colouration. They're not all one single solid colour ;) Your betta's tail doesn't look bad at all, I'm thinking it's possible his tail is still growing. Can you get a clearer picture?

Also, would help to know a bit more about your tank and accessories. Do you have a test kit?

15. OP
    OP
    T

Yeah sure, lemme take a pic real quick

20150716_114820[1].jpg 20150716_114826[1].jpg 20150716_114846[1].jpg
    I am using my phone camera, so it isn't the greatest quality. This is the best I can get. And I could maybe get a test kit tomorrow, or even get pet smart to do a free test, I heard they do that if you bring in a sample.

I may have just been over reacting, I really love Archimedes so I didn't want anything to happen to him. Also, could the betta fix harm him if he doesn't need it?

16. Aquaphobia

If you have a mirror you can hold up to his face to make him flare you might get a better picture! If it is finrot it doesn't look bad at all, or maybe just the beginning stages. Probably a heater would help him immensely.

As for getting your LPS to test your water you'd be better off buying the liquid test kit. The LPS is likely to use strips and they're not accurate.

17. Dom90

Yea, meds should be used as a last resort like I said... if he doesnt need it, it could be more harm than good.. Also, its better to get your own test kit so you can test regularly by yourself or in case of emergencies. Petsmart uses test strips which arent as accurate as the liquid test kit. You should get an API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Edit: Ninja'd!

18. OP
    OP
    T

So, I gave about a total of 1 1/2 teaspoons of betta fix, is that enough to harm him or is he fine if I just stop using it? And, just to be clear, he is a perfectly healthy betta, no problems?

19. Dom90

I dont see any problems, but if you notice his tail fin getting shorter by the day, then yes it is fin rot. If nothing's happening, dont do anything. If you have carbon in your filter, it should clear out the meds..

20. Aquaphobia

Also, what kind of a tank is he in? What are the dimensions? Is there a light on it? What kind of a filter? Do you use water conditioner?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice