Does my Guppy have parasites?

wavywasy

My guppy was living in a ten gallon tank with bout five other guppies, two of which were new and died two days after getting them. I think they must have had some sort of infectious illness (though they showed no signs of it), because I noticed my guppy hiding with a swelled abdomen. I immediately quarantined. Because my guppy had a really largely swelled abdomen and raised scales, I gave him some pea in case of constipation, but was convinced it was dropsy. The next day, he had an opening on the side of his stomach with a jelly-like sack still attached to him (picture one). I immediately started him on melafix. The day after the first melafix dose, he now has red stringy things coming out of his side (picture 2). Is it a parasite? What can I do?

Attachments

• PXL_20211122_184145917.jpg
    PXL_20211122_184145917.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20211123_174452748.jpg
    PXL_20211123_174452748.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 11

Demeter

Poor guy, it looks like camallanus worms to me. I've never heard of them rupturing through the sides of fish but it is possible. Camallanus worms are hard to treat as they need very specific meds administered in the water. Treatment is stressful and recovery is long. I've had it in guppies before, 7 females were exposed by one new female. At the end only 3 of the 7 survived.

I used Levamisole powder and did 2 rounds of treatment. I would do your own researching on treatment options for this parasite. You will want a good understanding of what to do. The whole tanks needs to the treated, be careful not to cross contaminate if you have other tanks.

wavywasy

Poor guy, it looks like camallanus worms to me. I've never heard of them rupturing through the sides of fish but it is possible. Camallanus worms are hard to treat as they need very specific meds administered in the water. Treatment is stressful and recovery is long. I've had it in guppies before, 7 females were exposed by one new female. At the end only 3 of the 7 survived.

I used Levamisole powder and did 2 rounds of treatment. I would do your own researching on treatment options for this parasite. You will want a good understanding of what to do. The whole tanks needs to the treated, be careful not to cross contaminate if you have other tanks.
Thank you for the help, I am ordering Levamisole powder but it will take a while to get here. I saw someone in a different thread about Camallanus worms that they pulled the worms out of the fish with disposable tweezers? I can't find anywhere that says to do or not do that, do you think that would help? Thank you again.

Demeter

That would be bad idea, these worms are hooked into the gut of the fish. Pulling them out is more likely to tear and damage the intestines which would certainly result in death.

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom