Does My Guppy Have Fin Rot?

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

So i got 4 guppies yesterday and started my TSS+ cycle and one of my guppies seperates himself from the other guppies. Now my other guppies do the same but go back to their little school. This guppy rarely hangs put with the others. Which really is not a problem since he might just not wanna hang. But i noticed he does not have great coloring and has torn fins. Either he was nipped a lot in the tank i got him from at a very good LFS or it's finrot. Now i don't think i can actually treat it because i am doing a TTS+ cycle and i don't want to mess with or kill the bacteria. Could it also be that this guppy could be sick from either nipped fins or finrot? Here is a pic below.
    20180621_134056.jpg

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Are they all males?

3. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Yes

4. FishFor2018

All males shouldn’t be kept together unless ther is a lot of hiding places or females. They are fighting and targeting that one probably:(

5. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

No they are not being aggressive towards eachother. That is how i got that one from the store. They are very social and school together. They even play with eachother.

6. FishFor2018

Interesting. I don’t see fin rot, probably got bullied at the store then

7. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Thats what i thought to. Do you think when the fins grow back he will get more color?

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not trying to pick on you, but that statement made me laugh. So as long as there are females in the tank, you can keep all males...errr then it wouldn't be all males.:):D

9. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Males can be together correct?

10. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Yes males can be kept together. Of course some people choose not to do that... there are variety opinions about many things - and you will encounter them all here. I would vote he probably got bullied at the store. You can’t do water changes, but with only 4 fish in a 29 gallon your ammonia levels will not be high. Once you finish your 14 days you can be aggressive with water changes as needed to maintain excellent water conditions while his fins heal. They can grow back.

11. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Knew it. Just wanted to make complete sure.

12. Esli

Esli Valued Member Member

Can I ask how many females for each male guppy? To avoid them fighting or stuff.
    Also, they dont need a school right?

13. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

And you are welcome to disbelieve or disagree with me... your experience may be different than mine. At least that explains why he is hanging out by himself. Like so much in life there are one million & one positions in fish keeping. I just didn’t want you confused that *I* believe you are off to a great start for your tank.

14. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

It is a bacterial infection and it is contagious and sometimes the only way to save them is to use antibiotics.

I usually use antibiotic flake so i dont spoil the tanks cycle, Terramycin or Doxycycline are my go to antibiotics.

15. OP
    OP
    BettaFishKeeper4302

Just found the guppy with nipped fins from the store dead. The others are fine i hope. This one seemed like it was gonna die when i got him.

16. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

I hope they didnt nibble on its body