Does My Guppy Have A Prolapse?

Paige7573

HI there, I'm new here! My Fiance and I have found a new love for fish. We have 3 tanks right now and plan to keep adding more as our interest and love grows. Today however I was checking on my guppy and noticed a red thing coming out of it. I did some reading and think it looks like a prolapse. I'm just looking for some other opinions and options on how I should handle this, also we were told this was a male guppy but I really think she may be a female! any opinions there would be great too!

Attachments

• 20170607_001324.jpg
    20170607_001324.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 437

Cori Elizabeth

Definitely not a prolapse, looks like a male as well. Can you get more pictures?

Paige7573

This is as close as I could get to him, it just doesn't look like worms to me. And definitely isn't poop. I'm stumped!

Attachments

• 20170607_005958.jpg
    20170607_005958.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 962

Cori Elizabeth

Well I can say one thing, your fish probably has an internal parasite. (the white/clear stringy poop) CindiL Is the god of illnesses and she might be able to help you figure out what the red thing is. I'm not sure but it looks like a tumour or cluster of something, definitely something I haven't seen before. You should medicate for parasites though definitely.

Your fish also looks stressed (clamped fins) what size tank do you have him in? Is it cycled? Are there other guppies in there?

Paige7573

How do I treat parasites? Sorry I am still new to this. He is in a 1/2 gallon, it's just him. He was a very spontaneous purchase. He was the last guppy at Walmart (I know not the more prestigious place to purchase fish) The sales lady told us if he didn't sell that day they were going to put him in with the Oscar's as they needed that tank for their new arrivals the next day. I felt that I couldnt leave the store without him. We've had him for about a month now. I'd love some suggestions on making him happier. We have 2 other tanks, one 10 gallon and one 15 gallon

FishFish221

How do I treat parasites? Sorry I am still new to this. He is in a 1/2 gallon, it's just him. He was a very spontaneous purchase. He was the last guppy at Walmart (I know not the more prestigious place to purchase fish) The sales lady told us if he didn't sell that day they were going to put him in with the Oscar's as they needed that tank for their new arrivals the next day. I felt that I couldnt leave the store without him. We've had him for about a month now. I'd love some suggestions on making him happier. We have 2 other tanks, one 10 gallon and one 15 gallon
Guppies need at least a 10 gallon tank.

Paige7573

Guppies need at least a 10 gallon tank.
Really? For 1 guppy! I never knew! Thank you!

Cori Elizabeth

Okay so your guppy needs atleast 10 gallons. However 20 gallon would really make him happy, ideally you would keep him with other guppies as they are social but you don't need it by any means. Medication wise, it depends where you are in the world as to what medications you can get.

Paige7573

I'm in the U.S!

I'm going to get him a bigger tank tomorrow, I will however wait on getting him some friends until I get whatever this is cleared up.

Cori Elizabeth

I'm in the U.S!

I'm going to get him a bigger tank tomorrow, I will however wait on getting him some friends until I get whatever this is cleared up.
We'll have to wait until CindI replies to recommend some medications for you, she's really good with that Be weary that the new fish may also come with illnesses such as ich, fin rot or parasites.
Do you know of the nitrogen cycle? It will be best to research that definitely when getting a new tank

bopsalot

From the picture I'd say: he needs a larger tank. Does he have a filter? He may need a heater. He'll need a home with a fully cycled filter. I mean the nitrogen cycle. And be careful, it looks like you may be severely overfeeding him, just a few flakes is sufficient for one guppy every day or two. Too much food can quickly foul the water. And I hope someone can help diagnose his illness.

That Walmart associate should go into car sales or something- very crafty sales pitch.

Good luck! I hope he feels better soon!

H0LL0FIED

You've got a ton of flakes just floating on the surface, I'd scoop those out with something, I assume you have a siphon for cleaning the leftovers that sink to the gravel. I've had my guppy for about a month now and he gets a flake or two every other day since I'm not cycled yet, I was feeding every day but I just dumped in a bottle of tetra safestart plus.

edmtkm48

New member trying to reply

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Linny72
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Sarah1230ox
  • Question
  • ayangch
  • Guppy
Replies