Does my Goldie have fin rot?

1. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I came home tonight and noticed 1 of my goldfish had black marks around his mouth and between his eyes as well as black marks on his fins and his tail seems frayed.
    The tank has been running for 3 months. I tested the water using API freshwater master kit. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20.
    I did a 50% water change and dosed the tank with prime in the unlikely event that the black marks may be from ammonia poisoning. Ammonia 0. My ammonia level has been 0 for 3 weeks and confirmed by my LFS who tested 2 days ago.
    My other 2 Goldie's don't show any symptoms of black spots or frayed fins
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406640616.083871.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406640649.197512.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I would likely isolate the fish in any case, and treat once you get a suggestion on a diagnosis, and therefore a treatment. I really can't help you there, knowing approximately nothing about Goldfish, but I believe that quarantine is called for in any case of suspected disease.
    If you don't happen to have a QT at the moment, you can improvise one with any container of suitable size, and suitable to hold drinking water, and perhaps manage your water parameters through daily waters changes until treatment is begun..
    After you begin a treatment, however, W/Cs are less possible, but a daily dose of Prime should aid in water management, and it is said not to interfere with medications. If you happen to have a filter hanging about, you can use Purigen in it, which for a time will manage nitrogenous waste very well, and not adsorb medications, as charcoal often does. Best of luck, rick

3. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I've moved him (think its a him) to a 9L bucket of conditioned water with a poly filter pad. Put a towel over the top with a bit of gap so he can't jump out.
    Will buy a QT tank and filter for it tomorrow as well as some aquarium salt and meds and treat anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

So I got a 15L quarantine tank and filter, some aquarium salt and pimaflix and dosed appropriate amount.

Does anyone have experience with pimaflix or any other suggestions. ATM he is staying near the filter and occasionally swimming around

5. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

I'm at a loss as to what they black spots are from. Everywhere on the net it suggests that black spots/smudges are from ammonia/nitrite burns yet the tank had been fully cycled for a few weeks and these just developed in the last 24-48hours. Ammonia and nitrite levels both 0. Nitrate level 20. Water change done 24hours before symptoms developed. The other 2 fish in the tank are currently fine and showing no signs of illness or disease.

Is it possible the black marks/smudges are ulcers? Should I be using melafix with pimaflix? Could it be septacamia? And I should be treating with antibiotics?

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Could it just be the coloration of the fish? When I purchased my Fantail it has a black strip running vertically down it's tail. In time the black stripe disappeared. Although I have heard of goldfish loosing block coloration as they mature, I never heard of them gaining black coloration. But just because I've never heard of it, does not mean it doesn't happen. And since your water parameters are good and the fish seems healthy, maybe he is just getting some black on him.

7. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

The fish (sushi) developed the black discolouration quickly and is pretty listless in QT with ragged tail fins.

I'm wondering if the black smudges/marks are healing ammonia burns. They are around his eyes, gills, top fin, top of tail and end of tail. I did have a lot of issues with getting the tank cycled and did have high ammonia readings for weeks although at the time none of the 3 showed signs of ammonia poisoning or distress.
    Maybe he does just have fin rot and the black marking are healing wounds but I'm thinking the two are related but aren't.
    In the morning (it's midnight now) I'll change his water, add salt and pimaflix and see how we go.