Help Does my goldfish have fungus?

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It looks like it could be some kind of fungal infection, yes. You could try some of the milder anti fungal treatments, see if it improves. These would be salt, raised temperature, and a few others that I can't recall right off.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just noticed it this morning. I'll do a waterchange when I get home, but Ibrokw the last of my test tubes for my test kit, so it might be a little until I can test. I have some freshwater salt at home that I can add with the waterchange. How much should I use? It's a 37gal with 2 other goldfish.

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mermish said:
I just noticed it this morning. I'll do a waterchange when I get home, but Ibrokw the last of my test tubes for my test kit, so it might be a little until I can test. I have some freshwater salt at home that I can add with the waterchange. How much should I use? It's a 37gal with 2 other goldfish.
I would get on getting new tubes, you can get them from API, probably by calling customer service, or do something like order them off Amazon.

A good water change will be good, and make sure there's nothing dead/dying in their tank, a fungal infection's number one cause is something wrong with the water.

As for the salt, about a tablespoon per gallon for the whole tank, and in general it's a good thing to do every once in a while, it helps the fish, from what I remember. You can probably check the instructions on the salt container for better dosing.

If you have a separate tank you can set up, you can actually pull him out of the main tank and do a stronger concentration of salt, but I don't know that ratio right off.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
SilverLake said:
I would get on getting new tubes, you can get them from API, probably by calling customer service, or do something like order them off Amazon.

A good water change will be good, and make sure there's nothing dead/dying in their tank, a fungal infection's number one cause is something wrong with the water.

As for the salt, about a tablespoon per gallon for the whole tank, and in general it's a good thing to do every once in a while, it helps the fish, from what I remember. You can probably check the instructions on the salt container for better dosing.

If you have a separate tank you can set up, you can actually pull him out of the main tank and do a stronger concentration of salt, but I don't know that ratio right off.
I don't really have a good qt tank. Is it okay to use salt with all of them? Do I have to remove my live plants? I'll try to get new test tubes soon.

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mermish said:
I don't really have a good qt tank. Is it okay to use salt with all of them? Do I have to remove my live plants? I'll try to get new test tubes soon.
As far as I know salt in small amounts in just fine for everything in your tank, even the plants. If you had snails I might be a little concerned, unless they were nerites. Seeing as you just have the gold's, Anubias, and Hornwort, all should be fine, just make sure you do a good water change (30%+) before you add more, you don't want the salinity to get too high

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
SilverLake said:
As far as I know salt in small amounts in just fine for everything in your tank, even the plants. If you had snails I might be a little concerned, unless they were nerites. Seeing as you just have the gold's, Anubias, and Hornwort, all should be fine, just make sure you do a good water change (30%+) before you add more, you don't want the salinity to get too high
I only have 2 table spoons of salt, so I guess I can only start with half a dose. ( Package says one heaping tablespoon to 5 gallons) I have Indian almond leaves, but I don't know if they're of any use to goldfish.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, ime they aren't really for goldfish. Just stick with the salt.

Edit: Btw, the salt container is generalizing the dose, but goldfish have a thicker slime coat than most fish.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
No, ime they aren't really for goldfish. Just stick with the salt.

Edit: Btw, the salt container is generalizing the dose, but goldfish have a thicker slime coat than most fish.
Okay, do I need to get more salt or is the dose I did good?

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mermish said:
Okay, do I need to get more salt or is the dose I did good?
The thicker slime coat means they can take a heavier dossing of salt. So you could probably up the dosage to 1:4 or even 1:3.
You do need more slat tho. Just make sure it's either aquarium salt, or pure salt, no additives

New Threads