Does My Glofish Have Ick

Disloy
Just started see the white spots today has one at the top fin and 3 really small ones on the other side at bottom fin and if he does have can I treat him where I have my angelfish, rainbow shark, and pictus catfish.

Here is a picture
20180612_134248.jpg

Michaelk22
I’m not 100% sure, but I think it is, from my experience I have seen a similar look and thought it was bubbles or something. A few days later my entire tank was contaminated with ick, I would use a bit of medicine to be safe.

Disloy
I’m not 100% sure, but I think it is, from my experience I have seen a similar look and thought it was bubbles or something. A few days later my entire tank was contaminated with ick, I would use a bit of medicine to be safe.
I actually think its ick cause one of my other fish in the tank also just got one white spot so I put aquarium salt cause aquarium salt can heal ick right? Btw does too much aquarium salt do bad to the tank.

sloughdog
Does it look like specks of salt? If so it’s likely ich.

You will have to treat the entire tank. The best all natural method:
Start raising the tank temp 1-2 degrees per hr until the temp is 84-86. Increase aeration because warm water holds less oxygen. Also, do gravel vacuums (about 20-30% water change) daily or every 2 days. Make sure the water you replace with is the same temp as the tank water.
The white specks are the final stage of ich and will fall off the fish into the substrate waiting to attach to another host. Adding a little salt does help but research your fish to make sure it’s ssfe for them.

Disloy

Start raising the tank temp 1-2 degrees per hr until the temp is 84-86. Increase aeration because warm water holds less oxygen. Also, do gravel vacuums (about 20-30% water change) daily or every 2 days. Make sure the water you replace with is the same temp as the tank water.
The white specks are the final stage of ich and will fall off the fish into the substrate waiting to attach to another host. Adding a little salt does help but research your fish to make sure it’s ssfe for them.
Ok thanks will do that

And yes there's a big one and like small ones only on his fin

sadly the glofish has died but now I will know better on how to treat them.

Michaelk22
I actually think its ick cause one of my other fish in the tank also just got one white spot so I put aquarium salt cause aquarium salt can heal ick right? Btw does too much aquarium salt do bad to the tank.
Yes putting in aquarium salt can help heal ick it should say how much you put in per gallon on the container, other things to help are turning up the temp one or two degrees, feeding them a high quality diet, and putting a few drops of ick medicine in.

Disloy
Yes putting in aquarium salt can help heal ick it should say how much you put in per gallon on the container, other things to help are turning up the temp one or two degrees, feeding them a high quality diet, and putting a few drops of ick medicine in.
Can catfish withstand aquarium salt and rich med cause my catfish died today and I think it was cause of the salt

sloughdog
Most catfish including the pictus catfish are scaleless. Most ich medications are not recommended for scaleless fish. The ich mednyou used in combination with the salt likely killed it.
Sorry for your loss.
I understand from your profile you’re very young...may I suggest you do a little research on the fish you are keeping and research things prior to adding anything to an aquarium. Don’t hesitate to ask questions. Lots of experience on this site.

Disloy
Most catfish including the pictus catfish are scaleless. Most ich medications are not recommended for scaleless fish. The ich mednyou used in combination with the salt likely killed it.
Sorry for your loss.
I understand from your profile you’re very young...may I suggest you do a little research on the fish you are keeping and research things prior to adding anything to an aquarium. Don’t hesitate to ask questions. Lots of experience on this site.
Yea I did research but it was very debatable some said it didn't harm catfish some said it did. I only put salt and he looked really healthy but all out of the sudden when checked he was dead.

sloughdog
Disloy
The aquarium is about 25 gal and has been running for 2 weeks ammonia was the one that was a little bit high

How big is your aquarium and is it cycled? (Nitrogen cycle)
25 gal running for 2 weeks not sure if its fully cycled but ammonia was a little bit high.

sloughdog
That’s the issue. The ich was the icing on the cake. Nothing will survive in those conditions very long. You should treat the entire tank for ich and get the tank cycled before adding any fish.
Is the angelfish still alive? If so, start with a water change with properly conditioned water (dechlorinated) and begin ich treatement. I’d probably do a 15 gallon wc.

For a cycled tank you will have:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 20 ppm.

Disloy
That’s the issue. The ich was the icing on the cake. Nothing will survive in those conditions very long. You should treat the entire tank for ich and get the tank cycled before adding any fish.
Is the angelfish still alive? If so, start with a water change with properly conditioned water (dechlorinated) and begin ich treatement. I’d probably do a 15 gallon wc.
Yep both the angel rainbow shark and will start the med and do the water change.

For a cycled tank you will have:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 20 ppm.
I put the ich med after I do the water change right.

sloughdog
Yes. Vacuum the gravel really well, add the water and be sure to remove the carbon filter (if you have carbon) from the filter, unless the ich med says not to. If that’s the only thing in your filter, try to get some floss in the filter or an empty carbon bag in the filter. You need somewhere for the beneficial bacteria to grow. Also, steadily increase tank temp 1-2 degrees per hr until it’s 84-86F. You will need to do small gravel vacs daily to remove the ich cysts that fall off the fish into the gravel.

Disloy
Yes. Vacuum the gravel really well, add the water and be sure to remove the carbon filter (if you have carbon) from the filter, unless the ich med says not to. If that’s the only thing in your filter, try to get some floss in the filter or an empty carbon bag in the filter. You need somewhere for the beneficial bacteria to grow. Also, steadily increase tank temp 1-2 degrees per hr until it’s 84-86F. You will need to do small gravel vacs daily to remove the ich cysts that fall off the fish into the gravel.
Ok and how long does it take for a declorinator to work hours?

sloughdog
Works immediately.

Disloy
sloughdog
I’ve never used amquel but it should state on the bottle. I’m 99% sure it works on neutralizing chlorine immediately.
Mali’s, be sure to add extra aeration to the aquarium if you are raising the water temp.

Michaelk22
Can catfish withstand aquarium salt and rich med cause my catfish died today and I think it was cause of the salt
I don’t know, I have used salt and my catfish lived, it could be ick but idk. Sorry to hear about the glofish.

Disloy
I don’t know, I have used salt and my catfish lived, it could be ick but idk. Sorry to hear about the glofish.
Thank you

I’ve never used amquel but it should state on the bottle. I’m 99% sure it works on neutralizing chlorine immediately.
Mali’s, be sure to add extra aeration to the aquarium if you are raising the water temp.
Doesent really say how much time just says how much to put and that's it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Goldiemom
  • Question
Replies
Views
hpt84
Top Bottom