Does My Glofish Have ICH

• Thread starter xpro
  • Start date

xpro

I have had this glofish for about a week now and all other 4 seem to be doing fine but today I noticed two white spots on his fins, my aquarium is 20 gallons and ammonia, nitrite, and Ph levels are just fine. If its ich its better to know now so I can start treatment

20140108_133958.jpg20140108_134032.jpg

Shiro

It looks like ich to me, unfortunately. Ich is highly treatable, but - and I can't stress this enough - be aware of your ph. Common ich medications can become toxic at a certain phs. Malachite green, for example, is more toxic at a higher ph. Copper sulfate is toxic at a lower or fluctuating ph.

Alternatively, ich can be treated with a .3% salt bath (more gentle), but I'm not too familiar with glofish and how well they tolerate salt, so another user will definitely have to weigh in on that. Also, whatever treatment you choose, raise your water temp as much as your fish can handle without stressing them to speed up the life cycle. Good luck.

Dondomingo

Well Known
Be careful not to jump the gun, I know anybody here on the forum would want to get a head start on ICH but a few times I freaked out thinking my Tiger barbs had ICH, turned out they just had some sort of fluff on their fin which came off. Told them not to do that anymore.

Then I thought my Longfin Zebra had it, but once again, she's the female I think one of the males nipped her fin.

Now if you spot a third, and the other two remain I would say at that point you have ICH since you have a benchmarch (the first two spots) to go by.

By the way, that's a nice fish ya got there.

smee82

I agree with Don, its too early to tell. If they don't get a 3rd spot in the next 2 days its probably not ich. You might want to increase your temps to be safe though.

xpro

Thank You so much for the answers ill keep my eye on him see if more spots apear at that point I will beging treatment.

Top Bottom