Does My Future Tank Need A Specific Type Of Light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guppiesandpuppies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi. I'm planning to upgrade my 3 adult male guppies from their 5.5 gallon tank to something bigger, preferably a 10 gallon tank or something that's close to that and is bigger in height than it is in width or front-to-back. I was just wondering if the guppies or the Cryptocoryne Wendtii I have in with them need a specific type of light, like LED, fluorescent, incandescent, or something else.

Floundering_Around

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crypts are low light plants so you don't need anything too powerful. My crypts in my ten gallon have a full spectrum fluorescent light and are doing alright. Since crypts are slow growing plants, a powerful light can lead to algae problems in your tank (like mine:inpain since the plants won't use the available nutrients as fast, especially if your tank only has crypts.

OP
guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crypts are low light plants so you don't need anything too powerful. My crypts in my ten gallon have a full spectrum fluorescent light and are doing alright. Since crypts are slow growing plants, a powerful light can lead to algae problems in your tank (like mine:inpain since the plants won't use the available nutrients as fast, especially if your tank only has crypts.
Thanks. Do you know any info about what the fish need?

Floundering_Around

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The recommend tank size for guppies is 20 gallons. I used to keep guppies in my 10 gallon years ago though and I think (just my opinion) that three males should be fine in a ten gallon. They don't have any specific lighting needs but they should be kept in water that is 64-82 degrees Fahrenheit with a pH ranging form 5.5 to 8.0. Generally, they have a wide range of tolerances so keep the water clean and otherwise you should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 75 66.4%

Top Bottom