Does My Flowerhorn Have A Hard Kok Or Water Kok?

1. FishyJim

FishyJim Valued Member Member

He is a 3 inch red dragon and I am wondering if the kok is hard or water.

1a59187488b946d5e60568677ed403fe.jpg daa40dda94329ef779bc26137ff3c52a.jpg

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

The easiest way to test this is actually touching it; if its hard, then its fat-filled and would be a hard kok. If it's soft throughout, then it would be a water kok. Another good method is shining a flashlight through it, the more "translucent" it looks (kinda like if you shine a flashlight through your hand; it'll look something similar to that), the more water there is.
    A semi-water would indicate a soft feeling, but you can feel the hard kok underneath.

It's a bit hard to tell at that size, the more growth will help out a lot, but, for now, you can make a good guess as to what the water:fat ratio is :)

Also, I *think* that may be a female :p. But I could be wrong, you can't tell perfectly 100% unless you vent them, but he/she seems to have a couple of the observational body signs of a female (unless he/she is being underfed, which I'm guessing isn't the case)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    FishyJim

Thanks for your response. How do you suggest feeling the kok?

4. KinsKicks

Just go ahead and press it gently and feel around (sorry it sounds kinda weird). Best analogy I can think of is like if you were pressing/examining your forearm. You can give a bit of pressure/squeeze but don't press so hard that it hurts; same type of pressure you should give when examining your guy.

If he's pretty tame; you may be able to hold him in one hand (like you're gently holding a taco holding from the "top" of fish, or if he isn't fighting back, you can lay him flat on his side in you hand, using your fingers to slightly grip him so he doesn't accidentally "fall off") and feel around with the other hand; it'll make it easier so he doesn't swim away every time your hand comes near :p

5. OP
    OP
    FishyJim

Ok thx

6. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Valued Member Member

There are so many ways this thread could be interpreted.;):vomit:

7. KinsKicks

:rolleyes: Isn't it lucky we're on FishLore talking about flowerhorns lol

8. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Hold your fish like a taco... I'll have to remember that. :emoji_fish:

9. Cheesearmada

I will try that when I get a flowerhorn. If I ever do. :(:)

10. OP
    OP
    FishyJim

Yeah I put my hand in the other day and he bit me

11. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

That's his way of saying, 'I don't want to be held like a taco.' :D If they're big enough there are some Flowerhorns I wouldn't risk trying to touch.

12. Cheesearmada

How about held like a hamburger?