Does My Fish Have Velvet?

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A few days ago, I asked if my fish had ich, because I was concerned about a couple of spots on his head. But yesterday I noticed that his gill area is a silver/gold colour. I don’t remember him having that before, so could he have velvet? If he does, can you please list treatment suggestions? (Preferably ones that are more natural, but if I have to purchase medication, that’ll be ok). Sorry for the blur/low quality
Image1524954617.951592.jpg
Image1524954459.045033.jpg
IMG_8593.JPG

Please help

gilbertsmom said:
Please help
I wanna start treatment asap if he does have it

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the first pic, he doesn't look like he's infected. 2nd and 3rd pics are too blurry.

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can't really tell by these photos, but you will know in a day or two if it is. I had some mollies with it a while ago and it became noticeable pretty quickly. It looks almost like a powder or dust on them, and I saw it first on the top of their heads and then on their fins.

If it is velvet, turning up the heat and turning lights off/covering the tank so no light gets in will help. Velvet actually photosynthesizes, so cutting of light as a source of energy helps to keep it from reproducing.

gilbertsmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can’t really tell since he’s orange in colour & gold is a similar colour What I was concerned about was the gold underneath his gills. I had no idea it spreads like that onto faces :O
IMG_8486.JPG
This is an older pic but it’s the closest I can get to focusing on his face

PatientStars said:
I can't really tell by these photos, but you will know in a day or two if it is. I had some mollies with it a while ago and it became noticeable pretty quickly. It looks almost like a powder or dust on them, and I saw it first on the top of their heads and then on their fins.

If it is velvet, turning up the heat and turning lights off/covering the tank so no light gets in will help. Velvet actually photosynthesizes, so cutting of light as a source of energy helps to keep it from reproducing.
Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom