Does My Fish Have Ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by gilbertsmom, Apr 25, 2018.

1. gilbertsmom

gilbertsmom New Member Member

FE54AECD-467F-48EA-B0E6-A8E6C5F8A6A4.jpeg
    I can’t tell if my fish has ich or not. He only has around 2 white spots on either side of his face. I’ve obly had him for 4 days, so he would’ve contracted it before I bought him. Should I start treatment? Or is he okay?

2. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

Have you noticed him breathing rapidly or flashing? Where did you get him from?

3. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

No, he seems to be breathing normally. As for the flashing, I can’t be too sure as he’s currently in a small, 1/2 gallon tank (don’t worry, I’m moving him into a 10 gallon one tonight), so he doesn’t have much to rub against. However, he swims normally & doesn’t seem to be stressed. I got him at a local pet store.

4. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

I personally think it's highly likely that it's ich, but it's hard to be sure from the photo, especially if you say he isn't exhibiting any other symptoms. I would keep a close watch on him for the next day or two, and start to treat immediately if more spots appear, or if he starts clamping his fins, breathing rapidly, or flashing.

Also, did you notice the spots when you first got him? If they didn't appear until now, I would definitely say it's ich, as the stress of moving to a new environment could weaken his immune system, letting the ich take advantage and appear.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
  5. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Perhaps give him some ICH-X, ASAP. It's very very effective stuff!

6. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

I looked at the pics/videos I took of him when I first got him and he had those same spots

7. BettaNation

BettaNation Valued Member Member

In my experience, ich is usually not limited to one or two white spots (the parasite) and starts usually on the fins then progresses to other parts of the fish's body. But I don't suggest using any ich treatment until you are completely sure it is in fact ich. But as the others said, I would keep a close watch on him for the next couple of days to see if anything changes. There is a thing called stress coat that can help prevent (not treat) ich and it creates a synthetic slime coat for the fish that can protect against external parasite. Fish in general get external parasites (ich etc) almost always when their slime coat is thinned, by stress and/or other unsavory conditions. But treatment of ich is super easy IF caught in it's early stages. Auarium salt is always good too. Try those things and daily water changes. And a heater helps too if you don't already have one because ich and other external parasites have a more dificult time the warmer the water is.
    P.S. research the ich treatment you want to use to make sure it's the safest available option because some ich treatments can damage betta's laybrynth organ that they use to breath from water's surface.
    Hope this helps:)

8. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

I should add that he eats his food but then spits it out. He eventually eats all of his food, but I’m not quite sure what this means. Could it be that he just doesn’t enjoy the flakes?

9. BettaNation

I've had fish like that before and I'll be honest, i am not sure what it means exactly because it can mean different things in different situations but yes it could mean he doesn't like it. Betta fish have been known to be notoriously picky eaters. There are two things you can try; soak and cut the flakes into smaller pieces and try feeding, or try different brand of food. Or maybe simply try pellets that are small enough for him to eat easily. Omega one betta flakes or pellets (basically same thing but pellets have a different order of which the ingredients are added) are a great option, fluval bug bites, and new life spectrum betta formula are all really great quality and I use them for my own girl. I'd avoid the best I can foods with any type of meal in it as it's usually the leftover parts of the fish etc not necessarily the best thing even if the food's protein percentage is high. I don't recomend using any food with a lot of filler. Also a reminder bettas are carnivores and not omnivores and they shouldn't necessarily get plant protein in their diet as a staple.

10. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

Thank you

11. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

For the food, bettas are better suited to eat pellets than flakes IME.

12. BettaNation

I honestly don't think it matters if you feed a betta flaked food or pelleted. As long as it is high quality food then it shouldn't matter. Bettas will spit out both flaked food and pelleted if they don't like it. My betta Thief eats both flaked and pelleted with no problem and she enjoys them thoroughly and has not once spit them out. Especially the flaked. The way I feed her is I take a flake and cut it in half if it's a little too large for her then wet my finger and put the flake on there and squish it into a tiny lump on my finger then hover it over the water and she jumps for it. I don't just pour the flakes or pellets on the water, I feed piece by piece which helps reduce extra food waste.
    Also I forgot to mention to soak ALL your food for a good 3 minutes before feeding to allow it to expand to full size before feeding to the betta, otherwise it can expand in the betta's stomach and makes overfeeding impossible to avoid.
    Your betta's stomach should be slightly portruding once fed but not look like it's pregnant (sign of overfeeeding)
    If you need anymore help , feel free to ask and I will help as best I can : )

13. 75g Discus Tank

To expand on the soaking, it’s a perfect opportunity to add more flavor and nutrients for your fish like garlic(for flavor and nutrients) or a nutrient booster like VitaChem(nutrients and flavor.

14. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

Can someone help me identify whether he has ich or not? I wanna start treatment asap if he does but I cant do that until I figure out what’s going on :( IMG_8430.JPG IMG_8482.JPG IMG_8484.JPG IMG_8487.JPG Image1524712741.452418.jpg

15. BettaNation

Garlic is also good for helping prevent parasites and some brands come with garlic in it like New Life Spectrum. Also that reminds me I need to get some vitachem. That's one of the only things I don't have

16. 75g Discus Tank

IMO, he doesn’t have ich.

Try turning off all lights and shining a light with a flashlight to see if you can see anything else. Using a flashlight can help spot things like ich a lot easier. IMO,he doesn’t have ich, but use the flashlight method just in case.

17. BettaNation

With the betta only having two spots, it's hard to identify if it's just it's coloring or something else or if it is in fact ich. If he had more than two, it wouldn't be hard guess. My best advice is to watch him for the next couple of days intensely and if you are very paranoid he does have it, then use what I've mentioned in my previous comment to your question.

18. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

Thank you

If he has ich would that mean it would shine under the flashlight?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
  19. 75g Discus Tank

No, but it would be more pronounced than it would with room lighting.

20. BettaNation

The most important thing is not treating ich (that's second) but preventing it. I've already said this but weekly water changes, adding aquarium salt, a almond leaf, raising the temp, using stress coat and so on help prevent ich and any other external parasite.Not to mention it helps fight the parasites if the betta catches ich. All together these make it almost impossible for the betta to get ich. Of course treatment is the second important thing if a betta catches ich. Catching it early will guarantee most success with treatment and with less harm done to betta. With time, ich gets progressively worse, and eventually the betta reaches point of no return. With the treatment options though, the reason I say to be careful is that some treatment options can damage the breathing organ for betta and that shortens the lifespan of the betta.
    Observing is also crucial.
    I know I restated this but these are very important facts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice