Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Does My Fish Have Fin Rot

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Lc41, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Lc41New MemberMember

15558649778972058230522.jpg1555865092051-478505738.jpg
    What is the water volume of the tank?19 gallons(his old tank was 6 gallons)
    How long has the tank been running?6 weeks
    Does it have a filter?yes(old and new )
    Does it have a heater?yes(old and new )
    What is the water temperature?72 FH
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)Just him

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?once a week
    How much of the water do you change?his old tank got half a bucket taking out which is about 25% I have not cleaned his new tank yet.
    What do you use to treat your water?I use Tetra Aqua Safe for the tap water and I also use Tetra Easy Balance
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?yes

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?I think I have for his new tank but his old one wasn't.
    What do you use to test the water?A Tetra test kit but I don't think it does ammonia and Nitrate.I will hopefully get a one that does soon.
    No3:10
    No2:0
    GH:8
    pH:8.4
    KH:20

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?twice a day
    How much do you feed your fish?3-4 pellets in each feeding
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?Betta Bio Gold
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?he some times gets a dried blood worm

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?1 year and a few months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?We noticed he was inactive a few months ago and that he had little white tips on his fins two weeks ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?he is inactive and has white tips on his fins
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?No
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?I don't think so
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?He was got a lot less active

2. CharlabooValued MemberMember

You absolutely must test for nitrates after your tank has been cycled and has enough beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate, nitrates become the most important thing to test for and are the most common cause of fish death. Usually though fin rot is caused by the temp being too low or an injury that gets infected. I can’t really tell if your fish has fun rot but if you suspect the best thing to do is get some test strips find out what your water quality is and see if you need to do a water change to decrease nitrates and then if you don’t have a heater get one. If you do turn it up a little most fish are happy between 77-80 degrees. Don’t use the fin rot treatment stuff because it usually plugs Berta’s up and causes death

3. Lc41New MemberMember