Does My Fish Has A Disease Or Something?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rack, Aug 4, 2017.

1. R

Rack Valued Member Member

It's a dwarf neon rainbowfish, She has this white stuff on its mouth.

Here's some pictures:

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

2. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Can't see the photos

3. OP
    OP
    R

Why? Do you need a link? I can't seem to know how to put the address as it is without it being embedded.

4. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Can u tell us parameters?

5. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

If you're using your phone, you can upload pictures directly

6. OP
    OP
    R

I don't have a kit yet, but I'm pretty sure it's fine since my guppy seem to be fine, I got this dwarf from a LFS, yesterday, it didn't had this white on its mouth until now. I do not have a quarantine tank.

7. Caitlin86

Unfortunately fish exhibit symptoms of stress differently therefore sometimes making it hard r recognize. Ur test kit gives u the ability to test parameters which can not be seen. I recommend getting ur water tested asap..or purchasing a liquid test kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Poor water quality leads to an immune system that can't resist viruses, bacteria and parasites. It may be a fungal infection...is the white on the mouth cotton like? If so I recommend Furan 2 in conjunction with Kanaplex.

8. OP
    OP
    R

The dwarf rainbowfish is alone with a guppy in a 15 gallon, they're schooling fish and require a minimum of 4-5, I just put it in my 15 gallon temporarily to transfer it to a 30 gallon tank. I never heard that fish exhibit physical symptoms from stress.

It is not fluffy like a cotton, maybe it's Columnaris ? I'd euthanize her in that case.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They do. Fish get stressed which makes them much more likely to get ill, then you see the physical symptoms.

10. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It's probably a wound. There is more white than is usual, but it's something rainbowfish keepers see. Our rainbows are, well, umm, very beautiful but stupid. They have a bad habit of misjudging glass, and hitting it full steam. They learn, but when they are scared, they forget.
    When you buy them, they often have scar tissue on the lips or snout, and it usually clears up in time. If you add their overall dimness to their tendency to panic when scared, things like that happen. They crash into things and harm themselves, especially in shipping, stores and new bare unplanted tanks when they are alone.

Beware though, as wounds can become infections, and there is already a lot of white on that individual. Watch and see, and keep the water clean.

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I would keep an eye on this. It could be white cotton mouth disease which is a nasty disease. I would do frequent water changes as that will help the healing process but if it gets worse you will have to get medication for that fish.

If you have a QT tank I would set that up and get it ready just in case.

12. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It looks like it could be mouth fungus to me. You can look for a med that treats mouth fungus and try treating with that.

13. Caitlin86

R any of her tank mates showing symptoms?

Kanaplex combined with Furan 2 will treat mouth fungus. As @NavigatorBlack mentioned above injury can turn into infection especially if parameters r poor.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    R

There's only one guppy and it seems perfectly fine to me.

Never mind, the poor thing died :( oddly enough the white stuff on her mouth/face went away, it started swinging and swimming upside down till it passed away, it also released some white fluid out of its body.
    My guppy seem to be fine even my guppy fry, unfortunately I don't have a test kit yet to tell the parameter.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice