Does My Dalmatian Molly Look Pregnant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marilynharlow, Aug 19, 2019.

1. marilynharlow

marilynharlowNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    i purchased these 2 dalmatian mollies today & the bigger bellied one was nipping & chasing the smaller one while they were in the bag on the way home, so i looked at their fins figuring i may have gotten a male & female. her analfin indeed looks female, & i read when they are pregnant sometimes they can feel threatened in small spaces & act that way. since putting them in the tank they have acclimated well, there is no fin nipping or chasing but i am still wondering, does she look to be pregnant? i have had mollies before but never one with a belly so big, besides the balloon bellied mollies. both seem to be female, but she is much bigger in the belly than the other. Screenshot_20190819-203332_Video Player.Screenshot_20190819-203405_Video Player.Screenshot_20190819-203344_Video Player.

2. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi,
    Short answer - yes!

3. OP
    OP
    marilynharlow

Ratings:
    +1
    yay! such a fast response, thank you! do you recommend getting a breeding box? i have read in some forums you should, but in others to just leave the babies to hide near the gravel, plants, in other hiding spaces etc.

4. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +180
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Really depends on which other fish you have in that tank. I haven't kept mollies for a long time but rember that at one point there were some babies and they survived okay in a heavily planted tank with lots of rocks and driftwood. At the time I only had livebearers in the tank so lots of guppies, sailfin mollies, sword tails and platies. Also had a lot of floating plants and the babies spent most of the time in the floating plants until they were big enough to venture out.

5. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +728
    Yes she looks pregnant but the other one in the background has clamped fins, often a sign that it feels unwell. That can also cause it to be picked on by other fish.

Might be worth keeping that one quarantined for a bit to see if its ill

6. OP
    OP
    marilynharlow

Ratings:
    +1
    good idea! yeah i did notice that she has clamped fins, she is staying at the bottom most of the time & only ventures out when theres flakes in the water. im definitely going to quarantine her to make sure she can heal perfectly fine without getting picked on.

7. OP
    OP
    marilynharlow

Ratings:
    +1
    good to know! i'm thinking of creating a whole new tank for my other little molly, just so i can make sure shes not sick & the mom can have her space.