Does My Bolivian Ram Have Enough to Eat?

1. fish gazer Member Member

I have a juvenile, male, Bolivian Ram that I am concerned about.

My 29G tank is currently layered/stocked with:

11 Harlequin Rasboras
    1 Bolivian Ram
    3 Peppered Corydoras
    3 Amano Shrimp
    1 Ghost Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snail

Once a day, I feed a tiny pinch of food at first so that the Harlequins eat first, then I add a little bit more so that it spreads around the tank for the rest. Before lights-out, I drop in half of a spirulina pellet, which the Harlequins and Cory's munch on if a shrimp doesn't steal it away. The Ram has no interest in it. Once a week, I feed half a cube of bloodworms, which they all eat.

The thing is, the Corys scavenge all day for food, the shrimps eat what they can find all day, and the Bolivian Ram is such a "timid" eater as they call it, so he never rushes for food and takes his time. What should take 2-3 minutes to consume, he does in an hour.

Should I try to introduce a sinking pellet for him? Will the Cory's or shrimp try to eat that too? Any suggestions on which type/size or something else?

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

I am thinking as long as he appears to not be starving-sunken belly, etc. you could leave well enough alone or target feed.

3. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

First of all welcome to FishLore! Glad to have you. Now that you have three posts you can fill up your profile page so we can give you more relevant responses and don't ask you whether you know about the nitrogen cycle and whether you have API liquid test, and what kind dechlorinator you use.

Don't know about your Ram, but I can tell you that it is highly recommended that you have at least 6 identical cories, and that they may need different food then they have been getting. When you get a chance read the Corries FAQ

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/corydoras/173581-cory-faq.html

Please read yesterdays's discussion about the appropriate food for cories.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/corydoras/173704-feeding-cories-correctly.html

Don't hesitate to ask questions, but sometimes you will find more detailed, more in depth discussions that have taken place earlier with participation of a lot of knowledgable people.

Again, welcome back, and enjoy your aqua journey with us.

4. fish gazer Member Member

Well, I added the Corys about 2 weeks ago, before that the Ram would graze all day. Do you think if he was mal-nurished it would show already? He doesn't have any signs of a sunken belly.

Thanks alot!

I will definitely take a look at the links and update my stats! I wish I had space for 6 Corys but I didn't want to overstock my tank. When I have the chance, I wanted to add 2 Otocinclus to it. So 3 Corys seemed reasonable...

5. fish gazer Member Member

@Jomolager I'm going to get some catfish wafers and maybe some cichlid pellets today to help with their diet, I hope they enjoy it and thanks for the advice! I also just realised that the algae tablets that I have are used more as a supplement or treat for regular fish. I will use this as my Oto food if I ever get them.

I think they say add enough wafer that they can consume in 20mins, how many should I drop in for 3 juvenile corys? I'm going to feed them before lights out.

Sent from my cell phone.

6. celizabethh3 Member Member

I have bottom feeder tablets made by Aqueon for my Corys as a treat. They absolutely love them. They push/roll them around the tank until there's nothing left. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. fish gazer Member Member

Hmmm. Went to new lfs today, he said the corries will be fine with the leftover flake food since it has protein in it and I got micro wafers for my ram. Hope they all enjoy it!

Sent from my cell phone.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd take what the Lfs says with a pinch of salt, corys need more than just leftover flakes!