Does My Betta Look Sick?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by gilbertsmom, Apr 22, 2018.

1. gilbertsmom

gilbertsmomValued MemberMember

92512508-506E-4FAA-B640-EB5C5E23D722.jpeg9F0A498D-3CFB-4EEF-B2DA-247C82070845.jpegC3611084-C3EC-4655-9D8C-58B4C34A98D4.jpeg I’ve only had my fish for 3 days & ever since I got him, his face was always very pale. He swims around his 1/2 gallon tank (don’t worry, I’m getting him a 10 gallon one soon) so he’s not really lethargic. However, he doesn’t get excited about food (I feed him flakes, he even spit it out once) but he always ends up eating it. Is he sick? Or could he just be old?
    Edit: I should also add he hasn’t created a bubble nest yet, but another betta fish my mom got the same day has already created one. They live in almost identical tanks

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

The paleness in his face is due to a cambodian gene. As you can see, the body is much lighter than the rest of the fins. You can't really call him a cambodian though because of the pineappleing "black etch to the scales" and the mixed color. As for not eating, 3 days is still a bit stressful for him. Try to get some betta pellets, which i think they take a better liking too. If you want to be very fancy, i would get either frozen or live food to supplement his diet with.

3. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

Thank you!

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Please read up on the nitrogen cycle, how often are you doing water changes? What's the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at? In such a small tank, you should do daily water changes until you upgrade the tank. He's going to love the new tank, I'm sure, it's really great of you to upgrade. He does look a little bloated, I'd try feeding him some daphnia or half a shelled and blanched pea

5. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

I can’t do nitrogen cycles on my own because I’m young & my mother finds the concept to be silly because the pet store said he would be fine in that tank :( I did a 50% water change this morning & the most I would be capable of doing is every 2 days.

50A05252-CDF4-4066-B3D6-37E154E7C160.jpeg A close-up. Could the white spot on his face indicate ich? Or is it just a scale

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2018
  6. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I'm sorry your mom doesn't understand, that sucks. I think even every 2 days would be amazing! And it's okay if you can't always do every two days, just try your best and I'm sure he will be fine. Most betta's don't get anywhere near that much care. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with Ich, so I can't definitively say yes or no, I think you should keep an eye on it just in case though. Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    gilbertsmom

Thanks

8. kim&marcNew MemberMember

Just a scale probably. My blue betta has spot like that on his fin but no worries. Looks like he's in good hands & your doing just fine as far as not being able to cycle his tank you can always use pothos or bamboo with the roots in the water to help remove the waste in the water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice