Does my betta look like he has fin rot?

• Thread starter thefishn00b
  • Start date

thefishn00b

0728202043a.jpg

i just got him today His name is Cheeto i dont know but his fins look off to me. i want to know if anyone could tell me if he has fin rot by looking at the pic thank you so much in advance!

Best Answer - View FishGirl38's answer

FishGirl38

Well Known
To me, it doesn't appear as though he has fin rot. I do see some areas around the edges that are clear that may be a sign for concern...OR it could be his fins starting to regenerate from a recent tear.

Considering you just got him, I would keep a close eye on him for the next week or so. Feed him enough (but not too much - bloating him is worse than underfeeding him I'd say 3-5 pellets a day, or small pinch of flake). If you notice the spaces getting larger, or his fins turning clear in different areas, that could be a sign for concern. If, on the other hand, you start to notice his fins filling in and coloring up, it could just have to do with recouping from the pet-store (its a stressful place for all fish-even in good fish stores).

Some betta will change colors, this guy doesn't look like he should do that, but keep up on feeding him a high quality food on a regular (once a day) schedule and note his behavior the next few days. So long as the water parameters in your tank are ideal, he should bounce back. Even if he does have a touch of fin-rot (it could resolve on its own if it's mild enough and the fish is in a 'healthy' tank. :).)

thefishn00b

thank you once again i will keep that in mind

FishGirl38

Well Known
Keep us posted! :). Welcome home cheeto!

thefishn00b

FishGirl38 said:
Keep us posted! :). Welcome home cheeto!
Honestly i have been using these test strips by tetra (i dont like them at all) i feel like they were very inaccurate it read very good parameters (for dolla my betta that passed yesterday) and i ordered the api master test kit i really hope its more accurate. i do water changes with prime, at night i put a shirt over the tank so the tv light doesn't stress him out. im sorry for saying a lot but i have a problem with water changing and vac when the vac trys to suck the gravel some of the small gravel gets sucked into the syphon it stops the flow so i have to take the syphon out and get the rocks un jammed and restart the syphon got any tips?

Mii

Well Known
thefishn00b said:
0728202043a.jpg

i just got him today His name is Cheeto i dont know but his fins look off to me. i want to know if anyone could tell me if he has fin rot by looking at the pic thank you so much in advance!
Looks ok to me

FishGirl38

Well Known
The strips are def. less accurate than the liquid tester, You'll be happy when it arrives.

For the gravel vac, does it have a gravel catcher on the inside? or is it just a small hole? You can control the flow of your syphon by kinking the bucket end to stop the flow so the gravel has a chance to fall back down (If it's light enough to float to the top real quick. So, I put the hyrdovac straight into the gravel, let the gravel fill up a bit, then I raise my syphon and then kink it, so that the gravel doesn't come to the top with all the gunk. I go back and forth from good flow to stopped flow. The stuff you sucked up with stay in the hydrovac while the gravel falls down passed it.

I have a shake start gravel vac. that has a gravel 'catcher' at the top of the syphon. Its a small grated plastic piece that just gets clogged with plant matter when I use it, I popped the top off my syphon and (hulk) broke it off of the inside...no more clogging problems...xD.

thefishn00b

FishGirl38 said:
The strips are def. less accurate than the liquid tester, You'll be happy when it arrives.

For the gravel vac, does it have a gravel catcher on the inside? or is it just a small hole? You can control the flow of your syphon by kinking the bucket end to stop the flow so the gravel has a chance to fall back down (If it's light enough to float to the top real quick. So, I put the hyrdovac straight into the gravel, let the gravel fill up a bit, then I raise my syphon and then kink it, so that the gravel doesn't come to the top with all the gunk. I go back and forth from good flow to stopped flow. The stuff you sucked up with stay in the hydrovac while the gravel falls down passed it.

I have a shake start gravel vac. that has a gravel 'catcher' at the top of the syphon. Its a small grated plastic piece that just gets clogged with plant matter when I use it, I popped the top off my syphon and (hulk) broke it off of the inside...no more clogging problems...xD.
Haha i just tested my water with the API MASTER TEST KIT and here are the results
0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5pm nitrate 7.5 ph Would say the tank looks cycled according to the test kit

Attachments

FishGirl38

Well Known
thefishn00b said:
Haha i just tested my water with the API MASTER TEST KIT and here are the results
0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5pm nitrate 7.5 ph Would say the tank looks cycled according to the test kit
I would agree, your parameters look absolutely optimal IMO. Now, don't feel like you wasted money though, Later on if you notice anything 'off' with the fish in your tank, or if it's cloudy, or if it's green, etc. Use the master test kit (and/or other test kits too) to try and troubleshoot the issue. Sometimes when our fish aren't looking their best, our test kit will tell us exactly why, more than the fish can say anyway. :).

How is cheeto doing? noticing anything different? by today, (2-3days later) if it was fin-rot, it would be progressing and getting worse. Is he lookin good?

thefishn00b

FishGirl38 said:
I would agree, your parameters look absolutely optimal IMO. Now, don't feel like you wasted money though, Later on if you notice anything 'off' with the fish in your tank, or if it's cloudy, or if it's green, etc. Use the master test kit (and/or other test kits too) to try and troubleshoot the issue. Sometimes when our fish aren't looking their best, our test kit will tell us exactly why, more than the fish can say anyway. :).

How is cheeto doing? noticing anything different? by today, (2-3days later) if it was fin-rot, it would be progressing and getting worse. Is he lookin good?
he has been eating temp is good but i had a problem last night i was going to check on him i turn on the tank light and i see these tiny worms all over the glass they look like detritus worms so i did a water change and it seems to be gone and btw for nitrates how long will it take for them to build up i plan on putting floating plants :edit i still see them are they harmful to the betta?

FishGirl38

Well Known
Probably not, is this a well established or heavily planted tank? Usually the little hitchhikers we can see with our eyes in our aquarium aren't harmful to our fish (unless they're on the fish, of course), but you'd have to take a picture and we'd have to identify it to be sure, of which, I'm not an expert on personally. I had a bout with planaria (or another sort of flatworm) in my 90G not too long ago, but that's about the extent of that. I overfeed that tank, so I believe that was where the issue lie.

It depends on the tank's bio-load. If you're only keeping 1 betta, It might not build up very quickly. Do you want the plants for the looks or the usage? Large Floating plants? or small floating plants, like duckweed? Duckweed would survive without 'higher' nitrates. Additionally, you'd want to cut back on water changes if you were waiting for the nitrate to increase. I'd almost recommend buying some kind of plant fertilizer and dosing it once a month. Waiting might be cheaper, but eventually the plants will have the concentrations down again once they've multiplied and depleted the stocking of it. If you're looking at something like duckweed, Its extremely hearty, and doesn't need much in the way of fertilizers (usually).

thefishn00b

FishGirl38 said:
Probably not, is this a well established or heavily planted tank? Usually the little hitchhikers we can see with our eyes in our aquarium aren't harmful to our fish (unless they're on the fish, of course), but you'd have to take a picture and we'd have to identify it to be sure, of which, I'm not an expert on personally. I had a bout with planaria (or another sort of flatworm) in my 90G not too long ago, but that's about the extent of that. I overfeed that tank, so I believe that was where the issue lie.

It depends on the tank's bio-load. If you're only keeping 1 betta, It might not build up very quickly. Do you want the plants for the looks or the usage? Large Floating plants? or small floating plants, like duckweed? Duckweed would survive without 'higher' nitrates. Additionally, you'd want to cut back on water changes if you were waiting for the nitrate to increase. I'd almost recommend buying some kind of plant fertilizer and dosing it once a month. Waiting might be cheaper, but eventually the plants will have the concentrations down again once they've multiplied and depleted the stocking of it. If you're looking at something like duckweed, Its extremely hearty, and doesn't need much in the way of fertilizers (usually).
Im growing duckweed right now if i would put them in the tank would i be able not to do as many water changes to get the nitrates down or would the duckweed take care of that. Oh yeah the tank has a moss balls i will eventually put duckweed in

Top Bottom