Help Does my Betta have velvet and/or fin rot?

Appalousea

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Snapchat-1088444781.jpg
I got my first Betta about a week and a half ago from Petco and he was doing fine until about two days ago when he got stuck in the filter and split his tail fin. I got a sponge to stop this from happening again and I turned his tank light off to help him calm down since he was constantly glass surfing. After I got up this morning, I went and checked on him only to find that his tail ends have become jagged. Because of this, I assume he has tail rot, but just now I noticed that his belly is gold. I thought it was white from stress or something for the past couple of days but after I shined a light on him, it's definitely gold. He's still glass surfing and I checked the water quality yesterday so I don't think that's why. His tank temp is set to 75 but it was around 80 earlier today; I turned it down cause I thought he might be too hot and that's was the reason. Please help, I can't tell if he's really sick or not. I tried to get a pick of his belly but he won't stay still enough for me to get one.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Whats the tank size and are there any other tank mates? Did you also cycle his tank before adding him? When you say you added a sponge, did you add a brand new sponge filter or a sponge to cover the intake? If you replaced the filter itself with a new sponge filter, did you seed the new sponge media?

What are your exact water parameters just to be sure. Do you have live plants to help with stress and water quality? I highly suggest Tannin extract from indian almond leaves to help tint the water so it wont be so bright and cause him to see his own reflection. Tannin also has antibacterial/fungal properties and the leaves act as hiding places as well.

Also, 80F is perfect for Bettas, they love warmer water so i would raise his temp back up to the 80Fs.

To help with the fin rot, I would increase water changes to about 25% WCs every other day, make sure you condition and temp match the water before adding. For the velvet, I cant really tell from the picture. Could you get one of the sides of his face/body/stomach? Velvet is a parasite that has a gold reflective 'dust' look on the scales. It will cause the fish to scratch himself on objects as well. Try to take a flashlight and shine it on in with the tank lights off to see the gold reflection better.

OP
Appalousea

Appalousea

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Whats the tank size and are there any other tank mates? Did you also cycle his tank before adding him? When you say you added a sponge, did you add a brand new sponge filter or a sponge to cover the intake? If you replaced the filter itself with a new sponge filter, did you seed the new sponge media?

What are your exact water parameters just to be sure. Do you have live plants to help with stress and water quality? I highly suggest Tannin extract from indian almond leaves to help tint the water so it wont be so bright and cause him to see his own reflection. Tannin also has antibacterial/fungal properties and the leaves act as hiding places as well.

Also, 80F is perfect for Bettas, they love warmer water so i would raise his temp back up to the 80Fs.

To help with the fin rot, I would increase water changes to about 25% WCs every other day, make sure you condition and temp match the water before adding. For the velvet, I cant really tell from the picture. Could you get one of the sides of his face/body/stomach? Velvet is a parasite that has a gold reflective 'dust' look on the scales. It will cause the fish to scratch himself on objects as well. Try to take a flashlight and shine it on in with the tank lights off to see the gold reflection better.
The tank size is 5 gallons, and he is in there by himself. No, I didn't cycle it before putting him in there, though that's only because I didn't know I had to do that at the time. There are only plastic plants in there but I plan to do aquaponics with him and the tank so then there will be. The sponge is on the intake.

I use 5-in-1 test strips and the nitrates and nitrites are both at 0 currently, but I'm not sure about ammonia. He hasn't been pooping but I feed him a pea today to fix that, plus I've been removing any uneaten food. pH is from 6.5 - 7. Carbonate hardness is 40. And general hardness and in-between 0 and 30.

I did a 50% wc yesterday and washed the tank decorations in hot water to try and start the process of healing the fin rot. Thanks for the other advice! I was kinda lost on what to do exactly. I think his tail looks a tiny bit better today so that's good.

Here's some pics I managed to get:
IMG_20200602_085732252.jpg

You can see it better in this next pic around his gills.
IMG_20200602_085706698_HDR.jpg

He's blue and red so I can't tell if it's part of his red coloring or not.

New Threads