Help Does My Betta Have Swim Bladder Disease? What Is This Bump On His Side?

Wolke

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does my betta have swim bladder disease? What is this bump on his side?

He's in 30gal, heated, fully cycled tank with filter. The tank has real plants and I perform 20% water changes every week and dechlorinate every time.
I got him three days ago, he's fairly active and swims around a lot. It doesn't look like he has difficulty swimming to bottom orof turning around.
One of things I've noticed is that he is a little bit constipated. When he poos, he lets out stringlike brown poo, I'm not sure is that okay.

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It sounds like hes in very good hands!
It looks like a tumor to me which is very common amoung bettas (inbreeding). Unfortunately there isnt really anything you can do other than make sure hes comfortable and keep an eye on it. Good thing is you said it doesn't seem to bother him so he should be fine for now at least.

The string like brown poop is perfectly normal. If the bottom of his front half ever bloats then he is constipated and you can treat that by fasting him for a few days. If he still hasnt pooped then you can feed him a piece of a boiled pea without the shell.

Wolke

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It sounds like hes in very good hands!
It looks like a tumor to me which is very common amoung bettas (inbreeding). Unfortunately there isnt really anything you can do other than make sure hes comfortable and keep an eye on it. Good thing is you said it doesn't seem to bother him so he should be fine for now at least.

The string like brown poop is perfectly normal. If the bottom of his front half ever bloats then he is constipated and you can treat that by fasting him for a few days. If he still hasnt pooped then you can feed him a piece of a boiled pea without the shell.
Hi! Thank you for response.

That's really sad to hear honestly. Is there any possibility that the tumor will go away by itself as long as I continue to take care of him and make sure everything is as it should be?

I have fasted him one day already, it seems that it helped him a lot! Will keep the tip with peas in mind for future though. ^^

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In my experience once a tumor shows up its not going anywhere. Sometimes they stay the same size forever and other times they grow until they start to bother the fish. Making sure the water is all to his liking will definitely help him stay healthy and happy but shouldnt have any affect on his growth.

Wolke

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In my experience once a tumor shows up its not going anywhere. Sometimes they stay the same size forever and other times they grow until they start to bother the fish. Making sure the water is all to his liking will definitely help him stay healthy and happy but shouldnt have any affect on his growth.
I frequently test the water as well, everything is like it should be, and it seems that he isn't stressed at all since moment he was released into the aquarium. ^^
Thank you once again!

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
There is nothing physically wrong with him. The bump on his side is not a tumor and just the natural protrusion of the swim bladder from the sides.

Wolke

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There is nothing physically wrong with him. The bump on his side is not a tumor and just the natural protrusion of the swim bladder from the sides.
Ooh that would make sense too.. I've noticed those kind of bumps on a lot on images of other bettas. I'll still keep an eye out on it just to be safe.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom