Does My Betta Have Dropsy? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by annaberg1067, Aug 8, 2019.

1. annaberg1067

annaberg1067Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    My betta has been bloated for around 2 weeks now. At first I thought that it was just consisted but I fasted him for several days and have been feeding him less and it hasn’t gone down. He lives in a 1.5-2 gallon bowl. I know this is not ideal but he kept chewing through my divide in a 10 gallon and nearly killed the other betta so he had to be put in a smaller tank. However, the bowl is filtered and heated, but I know that he is much more likely to develops dropsy being in such a small place. Here are the best pictures I could get. Do you think he has dropsy, and if so what do I need to do? IMG_5180.IMG_5181.

2. Emma McCarthy

Emma McCarthyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    1 year
    It unfortunately is dropsy with those raised scales. Unfortunately there is not much you can do when a betta develops it. It acts fast even if you try to medicate or do water changes. I’ve had few survive with dropsy. I’m not super certain what medications to use that would actually work. Just try and keep him comfortable with clean water and about 76 degree water. I’m sorry you have to go through this 17]

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    There are things you can do, such as Epsom salt baths to reduce swelling and Kanaplex to treat internal infection, but unfortunately it's already been two weeks and it's likely he'll pass before you can even get medicine (unless you happen to have a store that sells it). But you can certainly try, since there just might be a chance. Dropsy treatment is most effective immediately (provided that it's not caused by an organ failure), but sadly visible signs of dropsy such as pineconing is often when the fish is nearing its end. It's hard to say though. I've seen people successfully treat it... As well unsuccessfully. I've only dealt with it once and was unsuccessful... By the time the medication arrived, it was too late.

4. OP
    OP
    annaberg1067

annaberg1067Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yeah no store near me carries kanaplex so I’m just using aquarium salt and bettafix for now and hoping for the best.

5. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ah. Yeah. I wouldn't hold my breath with that Bettafix. It's mostly natural and I don't think it's absorbed internally, so if there's an internal infection, it might not be effective.
    Aquarium salt isn't the right salt for dropsy, either, but it's possible it could help. Unfortunately, it didn't in my case.

Have you looked online for Kanaplex? I had to order mine as I couldn't find it in stores either. Epsom salt can be found on any drug, department, and often grocery store. Magnesium sulfate.

6. Emma McCarthy

Emma McCarthyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    1 year
    Not sure if you have any local fish keeping stores around you that’s where I found mine. However I know it is very hard to find. I’ve tried using it and it hasn’t worked for me unfortunately.