Does My Betta Have Dropsy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by leahgmarie, Mar 19, 2019.

1. leahgmarieNew MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? i’m not sure

How long has the tank been running? almost a year

Does it have a filter? yes

Does it have a heater? yes

What is the water temperature? around 78 F

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Betta, 2 snails, live plant

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? every 3 days

How much of the water do you change? 25%

What do you use to treat your water? top fin tap water conditioner & bacteria supplement

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes

What do you use to test the water? nutrafin testing kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. can not specify as i don’t have any testing strips left. am getting them tomorrow

Ammonia:

Nitrite:

Nitrate:

pH:

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish? once a day every day with a 1 day fast at the end of the week

How much do you feed your fish? about 5 or 6 pellets

What brand of food do you feed your fish? nutrafin & once i fed shrimps

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? about 7 months

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? symptoms of tail biting around christmas, he began getting really bloated this week

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? bloated, scales are missing, he doesn’t seem himself

Have you started any treatment for the illness? just betta salt today (i noticed it today)

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? he seems less active and spunky as he used to be ( this begun with the tail biting )

i think my betta has dropsy but im very new to owning fish that im not sure, it could just be constipation.

so my fish percy had beautiful long fins but recently he began tail biting, i used my best efforts to try and stop the tail biting and keep him as comfortable as possible. his tail was beginning to grow back when i had to leave for vacation and one of my friends watched him while i was gone. when i came home i noticed his tail was tattered again which made me sad because of how hard i worked on trying to get it better but as i looked him over more, he seemed to look dull, bloated and generally sicker. im afraid this might be dropsy or some other type of infection. i don’t know why his scales are missing as i have real plants in his tank? also the water is the tea tinted colour due to the indian almond leaves i places to assist with his tail. im worried about the dropsy and hoping someone might be able to give me some help with what’s going on with him?!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  2. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

It doesn’t look like dropsy to me, which is good! He just looks bloated, if it were dropsy his scales would be sticking out like a pine cone. It’s possible that your friend over fed him, I would hold off feeding him for a few days to see if the bloat goes down.

As far as his fins, I would keep doing what you were before you went away. It could be a variety of things that caused him to start biting again. Is there anything sharp he could have hurt himself on?

3. leahgmarieNew MemberMember

Thank you for the reply! I think he’s definitely over fed then! He has all real plants in his tank and his house isn’t particularly sharp, it’s a rocky / rough sort of feel to it so that could be it. I was surprised because he even seems to be missing a lot of scales which wasn’t the case when I left him. I clean his water often: 25% every three or four days to prevent the biting from turning into fin rot. He’s still doing bubble nets but he just looks a lot worse (dull in colour, scales missing and tail biting) and I can’t seem to figure out why. The indian almond leaves helped a lot with growth but when I came home he returned to biting his tail again :(

If the bloating doesn’t go down within a few days what should I do then. Also I treated his water with a small amount of betta salt because I was anxious and worried about him having dropsy. Will that be okay?

4. The_fishyValued MemberMember

I’m not seeing any pineconing, so he doesn’t have dropsy. He might be a tad bloated, but a direct side view picture would help.

I’d get a liquid test kit, they are a bit more accurate than strips and will last you longer.

Do you have a picture of your tank? Sometimes biting can be helped/stopped by adding more plants or rearranging decor to create a distraction. For my one betta, he started biting and acting lethargic after I took away his shrimp for a different tank. I then put in some different ones and they seem to have distracted him from it.

5. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

If the bloating doesn’t go down, you could try feeding him half of a blanched and deshelled pea, or some frozen brineshrimp.

I don’t think the aquarium salts will hurt him, just make sure not to add too much or it could kill your plants.

He looks like a rosetail to me, and they’re known to fin bite due to the excessive weight. I would make sure he has plenty of places to rest. Heavily planting his tank might help distract him, or maybe getting one or two ghost shrimp to keep him busy.

6. JessicaAndreaNew MemberMember

A friend of mine decided to get rid of her tank, so I have adopted 3 new betta and would like to add them to my small sorority tank.
    This little one is called Pearl. She seems quite bloated, and about twice as big as her belly was yesterday. I have only had her for 2 nights, so this is not something that I can pinpoint. None of the other fish are like this. It seems that dropsy has symptoms of lethargy, lack of appetite and struggling to surface, though. She is all over the place, breathes and eats just fine. Is there something else this could be?
    The tank came pre-set up. I did a 25% water change and vacuum when she brought it cause the water looked a little grey. There are no live plants besides moss balls. She has been eating 3 pellets a day intentionally. Pre-set thermometer at 78. Using distilled water. Ph and ammonia are fine.
    Also, her scales are not sticking out that I can see. She is not big, and being white it's hard to tell, but I see nothing.
    Any ideas would be great!

Attached Files:

7. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

She’s bloated, also don’t post something like this on someone else’s thread, make your own. I suppose it’s ok if it just a short question, but this was long enough and you asked for ideas so, it could of been a separate thread even though it’s quite similar. We are trying to help the OP not you at the same time, same thread.

8. LagerthaMValued MemberMember

I agree with everyone else, I don't think its dropsy either. Just keep up water changes to keep water quality up. I would also try fasting him until the bloating goes down a bit. Just dont do this for more than 5 days.