Does My Betta Have Dropsy?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by crashdiamond, Apr 15, 2018.

1. crashdiamond

crashdiamond New Member Member

Hello all, my betta fish seems to be wedging himself under or in anything he can find. He’s not interested in food, and is not very active.

I’ve just put some aquarium salt in his tank for the first time and he seemed to perk up, not sure if it’s coincidental.

The medications I have on hand right now are Methylene blue, kanaplex, melafix, and bettafix. Will any of these help? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, he does. He's pineconing, which is a stage they go through with dropsy.
    I would be doing salt baths daily, just a for ten minutes each.

I believe that Maracyn or Neomycin helps combat dropsy.

3. OP
    OP
    crashdiamond

I’ve never had a fish that had dropsy and this is my first betta. I have no clue what I’m doing! Should salt baths be in a separate container I’m assuming?

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, a separate container.

5. OP
    OP
    crashdiamond

Ok he’s currently in a 1 gallon container with a tablespoon of salt. How long should I do this? And are there any other tips I should know?

6. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Do salt baths for only 10 minutes any more it will harm him :(

7. OP
    OP
    crashdiamond

Ok! And every day for how long? Til he gets better?

8. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Try Epsom salt baths, not aquarium salt. Also, I think kanapelx can be helpful as well, I've had a little luck. My goldfish got mild dropsy and I've been doing 50% water changes daily with 1-2 Epsom salt baths daily as well as dosing kanaplex and adding Epsom salt at 1tbsp per 5 gallons into the main tank.
    Here's the link to the info I was given
    Dropsy Treatment

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice