Does my betta fish have velvet, please help asap!

Kman19

So I noticed gold colored pigment starting to build up under my betta’s mouth, so I thought of it to be velvet, i quickly put him in a half gal tank and started treating him with bettafix, but after 2 weeks of treatment i see no improvement. Am I doing something wrong or is it not velvet at all? I am a new fish owner so i need all the help i can get please help. I have attached the pictures that i got of him.

Attachments

• A819C573-9F3D-4889-9ACC-7B170BBAF747.jpeg
    A819C573-9F3D-4889-9ACC-7B170BBAF747.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 21
  • CBE3B573-6326-49DC-A7FB-2AD2D30C00FB.jpeg
    CBE3B573-6326-49DC-A7FB-2AD2D30C00FB.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 21
  • C6C10CEA-9BD2-4842-B56F-1C430EE2B2F1.jpeg
    C6C10CEA-9BD2-4842-B56F-1C430EE2B2F1.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 21

cichlidL

Bettafix is an antibacterial, which won't do anything for velvet. When my planted tank came down with velvet, I used Cupramine. Two weeks of Cupramine treatment along with the instructions on the bottle and the velvet was gone. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

Impossible to tell from your photos. You really need to turn the lights out and use a flashlight to determine if your betta is covered in the tell-tale "gold velvet dust". If so, as stated above, copper is your friend. Please make sure your water has enough kH to keep the pH up. Low pH and copper is no bueno

Upvote 0

Kman19

Bettafix is an antibacterial, which won't do anything for velvet. When my planted tank came down with velvet, I used Cupramine. Two weeks of Cupramine treatment along with the instructions on the bottle and the velvet was gone. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much, that’s very helpful.
Impossible to tell from your photos. You really need to turn the lights out and use a flashlight to determine if your betta is covered in the tell-tale "gold velvet dust". If so, as stated above, copper is your friend. Please make sure your water has enough kH to keep the pH up. Low pH and copper is no bueno
I turned on all the light and there’s no gold dust but the gold dust type thing is only under the mouth, that’s why i am confused if its velvet or just something completely different.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

He looks like he has gold colored iridescence to me. In other words, it's his normal color. Usually if a fish has velvet you will see it on more than just one part of the body. If you turned off the lights and looked at him with a flashlight (especially an led flashlight), then he is ok unless he is showing other signs.

Since velvet is a parasite, you will also see him rubbing or flashing off of decor in the tank or off of the glass. They also get very lethargic, and then tend to not have an appetite.

I would definitely stop using the bettafix, like cichlidL alluded to in his post. Bettafix really isn't good for bettas (even though it is marketed directly for bettas) as it contains tea tree oil, which can do damage to the betta's labyrinth organ.

The very best preventative against fish disease is clean water and good water parameters. Just keep up with your water changes (depending on the size of the tank - 25% to 30% per week), and if you don't mind the brown water, add some Indian almond leaves to his tank. The tannis that leach from the leaves have slight anitbacterial and antifungal properties.

I hope this helps!!!! :)

Upvote 0

Kman19

He looks like he has gold colored iridescence to me. In other words, it's his normal color. Usually if a fish has velvet you will see it on more than just one part of the body. If you turned off the lights and looked at him with a flashlight (especially an led flashlight), then he is ok unless he is showing other signs.

Since velvet is a parasite, you will also see him rubbing or flashing off of decor in the tank or off of the glass. They also get very lethargic, and then tend to not have an appetite.

I would definitely stop using the bettafix, like cichlidL alluded to in his post. Bettafix really isn't good for bettas (even though it is marketed directly for bettas) as it contains tea tree oil, which can do damage to the betta's labyrinth organ.

The very best preventative against fish disease is clean water and good water parameters. Just keep up with your water changes (depending on the size of the tank - 25% to 30% per week), and if you don't mind the brown water, add some Indian almond leaves to his tank. The tannis that leach from the leaves have slight anitbacterial and antifungal properties.

I hope this helps!!!! :)
You are the best, thank you so much amazing person!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
littlebean
Replies
Views
schoney711
Replies
Views
sakusakus
Replies