Question Does my betta fish have septicemia? How do I treat it?

Rach092

Reaction score
Hi! I am not sure what is going on with my betta fish. Today I did a 40% water change in my 5-gallon tank. Once I finished that, I had to complete another task so I left my room to do that. About 45 minutes later, I came back to my room to check on my fish and he had 2 red stripes on each side of his face (4 stripes in total.) He was acting his normal self. Startled, I began researching what could have happened to my betta fish. I came across a disease called septicemia, it is the only disease I found that is related to what's happening with my fish. Could my fish have septicemia? How do I treat it?

I am positive that he did not have any stripes before the water change. I'm thinking that cleaning the tank has something to do with the red stripes. Could it be stress? I have had my fish for a little over 2 months and I clean his tank once a week. This has never affected my fish's health. It is my first time experiencing a sick fish. I'm not sure where to start.

I would appreciate ANY help/advice! Thank you so much for reading this far :)

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't see 4 red stripes or any indiaction of Hemorrhagic Septicemia, just his pectoral and ventral fins. However, if he does have Hemorrhagic Septicemia, there is no cure yet. Did you conditon the water before adding ? I would test your water parameters as well. Any sign of red spots/stripes/gills etc are a sign of ammonia poisoning.

OP
R

Rach092

Reaction score
Blueberrybetta said:
I don't see 4 red stripes, just his pectoral and ventral fins. Did you conditon the water before adding ? I would test your water parameters as well. Any sign of red spots/stripes/gills etc are a sign of ammonia poisoning.
Yep, I used API stress coat/conditioner and API aquarium salt. Thank you for the info! I will take better pictures once my camera charges.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Rach092 said:
Yep, I used API stress coat/conditioner and API aquarium salt. Thank you for the info! I will take better pictures once my camera charges.
Please dont add aquarium salt directly to the tank. They are made for salt baths/dips because salt does not evaporate, so the more you add overtime the more it builds up and will deplete the oxygen level in the water affecting your bettas labyrinth organ. I recommend a good variety of botanicals for Tannin to help with any stress and promote fin growth

OP
R

Rach092

Reaction score
Blueberrybetta said:
Please dont add aquarium salt directly to the tank. They are made for salt baths/dips because salt does not evaporate, so the more you add overtime the more it builds up and will deplete the oxygen level in the water affecting your bettas labyrinth organ. I recommend a good variety of botanicals for Tannin to help with any stress and promote fin growth
Wow, I had no idea. So aquarium salt should not be used in fish tanks? I will check the botanicals out.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rach092 said:
Wow, I had no idea. So aquarium salt should not be used in fish tanks? I will check the botanicals out.
Aquarium salt is a widely argued topic. There are arguments both ways. Personally, I never use it. I think its a waste of money. Generally good water and regular water changes is the most you need to treat a lot of things. Some people use it and feel its helpful. I personally do not believe it is really as bad as the other poster mentioned (except to scaleless fish) BUT I just don't really see a use for it. The salt would get removed in weekly water changes and the amount you add isn't really going to significantly alter the salinity so there isn't THAT big of a reason not to use it. For me I don't like messing with my water chemistry at all unless its something I have no choice but to do.

To me I don't really see any major issues in terms of health. The betta looks like its gotten torn up pretty bad. I'd check your tank decorations with panty hose to see if any snag it. If they do you'll want to remove them as they're injuring his fins. (If you have tank mates they could be the culprit).

OP
R

Rach092

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
Aquarium salt is a widely argued topic. There are arguments both ways. Personally, I never use it. I think its a waste of money. Generally good water and regular water changes is the most you need to treat a lot of things. Some people use it and feel its helpful. I personally do not believe it is really as bad as the other poster mentioned (except to scaleless fish) BUT I just don't really see a use for it. The salt would get removed in weekly water changes and the amount you add isn't really going to significantly alter the salinity so there isn't THAT big of a reason not to use it. For me I don't like messing with my water chemistry at all unless its something I have no choice but to do.

To me I don't really see any major issues in terms of health. The betta looks like its gotten torn up pretty bad. I'd check your tank decorations with panty hose to see if any snag it. If they do you'll want to remove them as they're injuring his fins. (If you have tank mates they could be the culprit).
Ok, I will skip the aquarium salt on the next couple of water changes to see if that makes a difference in my betta's health. At first, I thought he got snagged by something, but the thing that made me think again was when I saw the exact same marking on the other side of his head. Strange! My betta does not have any tank mates, so I will test the ornaments/plants in my tank. Thanks.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom