Does My Betta Fish Have Fin Rot? Help! *pics*

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My 1 yr bettas top fin started to turn white/transparent and now some of his bottom fin is starting to turn as well. He is in a 5 gal tank with a filter & heater . A few snails ,3 amazon sword plants, and a moss ball

His normal diet is a few bloodworms but he recently got a little bloated so I put him on the fasting/pea diet which he is currently on still.

Should I use Bettafix? I read online that you can use it but also not to cause its harmful.

I did a 30% water change today . I ran out of test strips so cant test today. Not sure what else to do . It seems to not be getting any better .

Any tips? Thanks 20190722_191535.jpg 20190722_191535.jpg

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettafix is not good medicine- it's mostly eucalyptus oil. It can actually do more harm than good.

The best treatment for fin issues isn't medicine in a bottle- you can do the most good by changing the water more frequently. I would do 30% every other day until you see improvement. You might also add some Indian Almond Leaves (also known as Catappa), which will add tannins which are antibacterial. The leaves may stain the water slightly but this shows that they are working. Also, don't buy more test strips, buy a Master Test Kit which uses test tubes. It's far more accurate and you will get 800 tests from one set.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
His normal diet is a few bloodworms
Bloodworms are pretty fatty and a few of them is likely too much. This is unrelated to the fin issues (I think), but I'd stop feeding them to him as his main staple food. They're best as treats, say once a week. Something like Bug Bites would be better for daily feedings. Unless you mean freezedried bloodworms? I believe those have less fat.

BettasinApril

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I cant tell from those pics if its fin rot or something else but.. Causes for ripped or shredded fins on bettas:
Fin rot - fungal infection and fins will noticeably get worse if untreated. Use an anti-fungal, there are many different kinds.
Damage from decor in tank - examine everything in the tank, if rough or sharp, this can rip betta fins. If anything looks sharp, remove it.
Self tail biting - rare but some bettas do it. You will need to catch him doing it.
Damage by tank mates - you will need to keep a close eye to see a tank mate is biting and ripping the betta's fins. Seperate fish if so.
*** if the damage is not fin rot, the fins will likely heal back with time, warm water temp., can also add indian almond leaves that have beneficial properties to overall fish health. Also a product called Vitachem that has vitamin and beneficial properties that support fin regrowth. Hope this will help

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta fish is in a 5 gal tank with a filter & heater . A few snails ,3 amazon sword plants, and a moss ball .

Recently his top fin started to turn white/transparent a little and now its moved to his body on his scales.

Ive done 30% water changes every other day and a 50% change today.
I used bettafix twice but stopped because I was told its harmful.

He doesnt swim anymore. Just lays in the bottom of the tank. I can tell its affecting him .

Can someone help me please !!!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My betta fish is in a 5 gal tank with a filter & heater . A few snails ,3 amazon sword plants, and a moss ball .

Recently his top fin started to turn white/transparent a little and now its moved to his body on his scales.

Ive done 30% water changes every other day and a 50% change today.
I used bettafix twice but stopped because I was told its harmful.

He doesnt swim anymore. Just lays in the bottom of the tank. I can tell its affecting him .

Can someone help me please !!!
Welcome to Fishlore- sorry about your Betta! Can you fill this out for us please? It will help us advise you better:
Fish Emergency Template | Betta Fish 376562

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You posted like a week ago about the same thing and never responded to the replies. If you want help, make sure to come back and answer people trying to help you.
Please fill out the emergency template so we can help you and your betta

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shou
You posted like a week ago about the same thing and never responded to the replies. If you want help, make sure to come back and answer people trying to help you.
Please fill out the emergency template so we can help you and your betta
Should I make a new thread with the template or post it on here ?

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta fish is doing really bad. He is like a completely new fish . His bright blue color is gone , his top fin is turning white/transparent and now his scales are turning white as well. He doesnt swim as much and his fins are always taunt . He is eating normal and he still greets me . I can tell something is wrong .

Im not sure if it's old age because I've had him for a year now after rescuing him from a walmart and who knows how long he's was there for

I was told that almond leaves work good for fin rot but I've been reading about Kanaplex as well. I'm not able to buy both right now so I'm needing to know which is better for its price !

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kanaplex is like a last resort antibiotic.

he's definitely not old.

what are your water parameters?

how often are water changes and what % do you change out?

start doing daily 30-50% water changes.

if it continues to get worse after a week of daily water changes you can try aquarium salt baths or apply Methelyne Blue directly on the fins.

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kanaplex is like a last resort antibiotic.

he's definitely not old.

what are your water parameters?

how often are water changes and what % do you change out?

start doing daily 30-50% water changes.

if it continues to get worse after a week of daily water changes you can try aquarium salt baths or apply Methelyne Blue directly on the fins.
Im getting the testing tubes tomorrow for the parameters but I've been doing 30% water changes every other day . I also ordered the almond leaves . Will that help because I dont know what else to do

Accents

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try not to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I made the mistake of using Kanaplex when my betta fish had finrot as I was afraid it would become body rot, but it did absolutely nothing and I exposed him to antibiotics for no reason.

Almond leaves are calming and are said to have antibiotic properties, but really what's most important is to do daily 30% water changes. Things will usually clear up with just that, but look for things that may be rotting and causing poor water quality. I recommend checking for dead plant matter and vacuuming the substrate, because there is often a lot of detritus.

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try not to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I made the mistake of using Kanaplex when my betta fish had finrot as I was afraid it would become body rot, but it did absolutely nothing and I exposed him to antibiotics for no reason.

Almond leaves are calming and are said to have antibiotic properties, but really what's most important is to do daily 30% water changes. Things will usually clear up with just that, but look for things that may be rotting and causing poor water quality. I recommend checking for dead plant matter and vacuuming the substrate, because there is often a lot of detritus.
The almond leaves should be here tomorrow so will that help? I already do 30% water changes every other day but I can do it every day if I need to. I just find it hard for a league to help his fins heal and turn back to blue. I just want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff cause it is getting worse

Welcome to Fishlore- sorry about your Betta! Can you fill this out for us please? It will help us advise you better:
Fish Emergency Template | Betta Fish 376562
Sorry for the late response , I ordered the almond leaves and they should be here tomorrow. When I put them in , should I turn off the filter? and should i still continue the water changes? thanks

Accents

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it will help a little, but it's definitely not a magical solution. Definitely increase water changes and check for anything rotting/any detritus, they can cause fin problems even if there is no ammonia or nitrite.

It doesn't actually look like his fins are too bad though, are they rotting or anything? If it's only a colour change it's actually possible that it's a colour change.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read your symptoms again and realized that my colour change theory is not right.

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it will help a little, but it's definitely not a magical solution. Definitely increase water changes and check for anything rotting/any detritus, they can cause fin problems even if there is no ammonia or nitrite.

It doesn't actually look like his fins are too bad though, are they rotting or anything? If it's only a colour change it's actually possible that it's a colour change.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read your symptoms again and realized that my colour change theory is not right.
His fins are the same length and shape from when I first got him . His top fin just started to lose color out if no where and moved to his bottom fins . And now theres a small white patch moving onto his scale from the top fin

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom