Does Moss Help Keeping Good Water Quality?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by leeexie-flowy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. leeexie-flowyValued MemberMember

So tomorrow i'll be taking in my friend's betta fish that she no longer wants.
    But in the moment i only have my 5 gallon which in the moment is dry and will take time to cycle again, he's currently in a 0.7 gallon bowl, he's very beautiful i don't want him to die so i'll be doing WC every second day/every day if ammonia gets too high.

I'd like to know if java moss helps with water parameters, i have a bunch in my 10G, and if it helps i'll keep some in the bowl

Note:I have BB supplement to help speed the cycle, so it should take around 2 weeks/a month to cycle

2. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

It will, although I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see. All plants help with water quality, but faster growing plants such are better at it. The java moss won't hurt though and it'll make him feel more comfortable :)

Is the 0.7g cycled? If not, I think it would be better to move him into the 5 gallon. It'll take longer for ammonia to build up in a larger volume of water, and he'll have more swimming space.

3. OP
    OP
    l

leeexie-flowyValued MemberMember

Is it even possible to cycle a 0.7 bowl? Lol
    Now that i remember, my 10G is cycled *facepalm* i just need to take some of the cycled filter media and wait for a while for bacteria to colonize.
    Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have a cycled bowl? Like, taking cycled media and placing in the bowl so bacteria can grow around?Seems impossible but funny tbh lol

4. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

You can techincally cycle any volume of water, as long as you have some sort of media for the BB to grow on.

In a 0.7 gallon, if you needed it to cycle, you'd probably want either a modded canister filter that could handle that tiny volume of water or a sponge filter.

5. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

Possibly, it would be very hard to find a filter that fits and it would probably be unstable, but who knows :) Simply placing the media in the bowl wouldn't work though, they need a constant supply of oxygen and ammonia/nitrite which is provided by the water flow of a filter.

If you have cycled media you should have an instant cycle or close to it. You'll have to add the betta immediately to give the bacteria an ammonia source.

6. OP
    OP
    l

Thank you for your answers! I'll do my best to keep lil betta alive

He's been in that bowl for 5 months and is still pretty as ever, what a hardy little guyi fell in love with him

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

I'm sure you'll do great!

I'd put him in the 5 gallon. He'll probably be better off in a cycling tank than a 0.7 gallon, imo.

8. OP
    OP
    l

Thanks! Don't worry he'll be in the 5 gallon

9. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

10. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Yes, obviously use your cycled media to help instantly cycle the 5 gal with the betta.
    And Yes, add the Java moss. I think the live plants add benefits that we don't know how to quantify. He will be lost in so much space! How great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice