Does Moss Help Keeping Good Water Quality?

leeexie-flowy

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
15
Location
Belém,Pará, Brazil
Experience
1 year
So tomorrow I'll be taking in my friend's betta fish that she no longer wants.
But in the moment I only have my 5 gallon which in the moment is dry and will take time to cycle again, he's currently in a 0.7 gallon bowl, he's very beautiful I don't want him to die so I'll be doing WC every second day/every day if ammonia gets too high.

I'd like to know if java moss helps with water parameters, I have a bunch in my 10G, and if it helps I'll keep some in the bowl

Note:I have BB supplement to help speed the cycle, so it should take around 2 weeks/a month to cycle
 

Aster

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
338
Location
GA
Experience
2 years
It will, although I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see. All plants help with water quality, but faster growing plants such are better at it. The java moss won't hurt though and it'll make him feel more comfortable

Is the 0.7g cycled? If not, I think it would be better to move him into the 5 gallon. It'll take longer for ammonia to build up in a larger volume of water, and he'll have more swimming space.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
L

leeexie-flowy

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
15
Location
Belém,Pará, Brazil
Experience
1 year
Aster said:
It will, although I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see. All plants help with water quality, but faster growing plants such are better at it. The java moss won't hurt though and it'll make him feel more comfortable

Is the 0.7g cycled? If not, I think it would be better to move him into the 5 gallon. It'll take longer for ammonia to build up in a larger volume of water, and he'll have more swimming space.
Is it even possible to cycle a 0.7 bowl? Lol
Now that I remember, my 10G is cycled *facepalm* I just need to take some of the cycled filter media and wait for a while for bacteria to colonize.
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have a cycled bowl? Like, taking cycled media and placing in the bowl so bacteria can grow around?Seems impossible but funny tbh lol
 

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,585
Reaction score
1,690
Location
Kentucky
Experience
4 years
You can techincally cycle any volume of water, as long as you have some sort of media for the BB to grow on.

In a 0.7 gallon, if you needed it to cycle, you'd probably want either a modded canister filter that could handle that tiny volume of water or a sponge filter.
 

Aster

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,947
Reaction score
338
Location
GA
Experience
2 years
leeexie-flowy said:
Is it even possible to cycle a 0.7 bowl? Lol
Now that I remember, my 10G is cycled *facepalm* I just need to take some of the cycled filter media and wait for a while for bacteria to colonize.
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have a cycled bowl? Like, taking cycled media and placing in the bowl so bacteria can grow around?Seems impossible but funny tbh lol
Possibly, it would be very hard to find a filter that fits and it would probably be unstable, but who knows Simply placing the media in the bowl wouldn't work though, they need a constant supply of oxygen and ammonia/nitrite which is provided by the water flow of a filter.

If you have cycled media you should have an instant cycle or close to it. You'll have to add the betta immediately to give the bacteria an ammonia source.
 

Lorekeeper

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,585
Reaction score
1,690
Location
Kentucky
Experience
4 years
I'm sure you'll do great!

I'd put him in the 5 gallon. He'll probably be better off in a cycling tank than a 0.7 gallon, imo.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
L

leeexie-flowy

Active Member
Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
15
Location
Belém,Pará, Brazil
Experience
1 year
Lorekeeper said:
I'm sure you'll do great!

I'd put him in the 5 gallon. He'll probably be better off in a cycling tank than a 0.7 gallon, imo.
Thanks! Don't worry he'll be in the 5 gallon
 

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,349
Reaction score
9,140
Experience
Just started
Java moss is very helpful in keeping ammonia down in my experience.
 

Mom2some

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
626
Location
Virginia, USA
Experience
1 year
leeexie-flowy said:
Is it even possible to cycle a 0.7 bowl? Lol
Now that I remember, my 10G is cycled *facepalm* I just need to take some of the cycled filter media and wait for a while for bacteria to colonize.
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have a cycled bowl? Like, taking cycled media and placing in the bowl so bacteria can grow around?Seems impossible but funny tbh lol
Yes, obviously use your cycled media to help instantly cycle the 5 gal with the betta.
And Yes, add the Java moss. I think the live plants add benefits that we don't know how to quantify. He will be lost in so much space! How great!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
86
Guests online
2,159
Total visitors
2,245

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom