Does MelaFix kill beneficial bacteria?

1. Aquatica88 Member Member

Hello all,

I have taken a hiatus of sorts from this site (fish are still alive and kicking...err, swimming), but I had a quick question. I noticed my male Betta has a little bit of a torn/discolored dorsal fin and was thinking a couple of doses of MelaFix could help this.

You might think this is an odd question, but I wanted to ask before seriously messing up my cycle. Does anyone happen to know if tea tree oil will kill BB? I want to help my betta's fin heal, but if something like Stress Coat would be better, then I'll use that.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

No it doesn't but Melafis isn't good for Bettas I believe as it can affect their labyrinth organ, hopefully someone with more betta knowledge can chime in on that.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you need to use Melafix or Stress Coat. Frequent, large water changes should help, and if it doesn't, you'll need something strong than Melafix or Stress Coat anyway.

I think Melafix is bad for labyrinth fish too.

4. Aquatica88 Member Member

Thank you for your feedback! I will just dose the tank with Stress Coat then. I have also been regularly changing the water (it's a 5.5 gallon), so I will keep it up.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No need for Stress Coat either, but if it makes you feel better, go for it! Hope he recovers soon!