Help Does Lucky My Puffer Have Some Sort Of Illness?

blue velvet keeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Water doesn't have any bacteria. If you waited a few months the bacteria would have died anyway. Unless you were adding ammonia
But I have cycled all my that way for two weeks and then I wait two months and this happens I don't know this is weird like I said I add some tank water and then wait a couple weeks and run the filter

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But I have cycled all my that way for two weeks and then I wait two months and this happens I don't know this is weird like I said I add some tank water and then wait a couple weeks and run the filter
So, two paths: 1. You need to get a test kit. Until then you need to be doing 50% water changes (with water that has been properly acclimated) daily until you get a test kit. Ammonia is the culprit you are looking for. You need to be offering a variety of food that is sized appropriately. They are/can be picky.
2. As far as parasites go, In my experience, the meds will do more harm than good at this point.

Isobelle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you only put other tank water in? Bacteria doesn’t live in the water. Did you use any bottled bacteria, an ammonia source, or cycled media?

Isobelle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, I definitely would. Only the water unfortunately won’t help. If you have media to spare (don’t take it and leave other tanks with nothing) I’d use it!

jacob thompson

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That wouldn’t cycle the tank. Water has very little beneficial bacteria. I assume you are getting very lucky with your fish as 99% of the time all of your fish would’ve been dead by now. Please take my advice of what I said and get a test kit and dose accordingly with seachem prime. Once the water chemistry is sorted or and you’re cycled he should start eating. They are basically starving themselves from being put in an uncycled tank. If you want to instant cycle in the future. Use mature tank media and in order to keep any bacteria alive you need an ammonia source.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm still convinced it's a parisite that comes in with the Fish,classic sign not eating and staying thin,

PufferQueen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When you get the new ones and a test kit I highly recommend treating for the internal parasites as they are more common than not and can live undetected for a long time. I would absolutely recommend prazipro and garlic right from the start. Hope you have better luck next time, very sorry to hear about a rough first run with them but they are very rewarding to keep so I encourage you to try again.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BTW it is a 15 fluval flex

i know it is cycled because the shrimp and the corydoras are fine they are happy as can be

i put water from my other tank into the fluval and waited a couple monthes before getting the puffers
Putting water in from another tank and waiting for it to cycle isn’t going to do anything. Beneficial Bacteria doesn’t live in the water Column. It lives on your substrate,filter sponges, bio media, decor, etc.

I agree with the others that your tank most likely isn’t properly cycled. DPs require an extremely established tank... the longer it has been established, the better their survival rate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom