Does Living By The Ocean Affect My Ponds/aquariums?

keeperofmanyponds

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There is this thing down here called salt air... it corrodes metal faster and makes the air hazy. I live in Daytona Florida less than a mile from the ocean and twenty feet from the brackish intercoastal. Wind usually blows from the ocean. Will this affect the water chemistry of my outdoor aquariums and patio ponds?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It may. You can always seek your city/country's water treatment plant's website. And then also perhaps submit a Q&A form for more info. And also perhaps your local news and/or weather people. Our water here is very hard too, and if the possibility of any oceanic precipitation, which can directly affect your outdoor pond's water chemisry, I highly recommend seeking the said info via your local weather people or water treatment folks; perhaps get some info about city/county ph levels...ocean inbound salinity factors, possible pollution ratios, locations affected of the forementioned, frequency of storms, "salt air" which may be in relation or differential contrasting between acidic and alkaline water city or oceanic precipitation, etc. etc. etc. When I was in Japan doing Koi tours with private breeders, when it rained, even for only 30 minutes to hours, they always frantically scrambled and NEVER took the chance on any major ph swings in their outdoor ponds from the rain, as they ALWAYS had contingencies to cover up the ponds, by the ocean ASAP.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like he WAS concerned though! Heh...especially with "salt air". Although an almost negligible bit of salt's ok for fish tanks...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom