Does Java Moss Go Through A ‘melt’ Period?

Rylan
Hello, I just thought I’d better ask this now before it’s too late.

I just got some new Java Moss about a week ago for my Betta tank and attached it to some driftwood at different levels in tank. Driftwood is still new too that’s why it’s got the white stuff.

The ones closest to the light and the ones I may have planted too densely are starting to brown a bit. Does it bounce back? Might I have a nitrate deficiency?

I’d be surprised if it’s my light because it’s really not very bright and I thought Java Moss did well in low and high light.

I already have 3 big Anubias plants and moss balls.

Maybe it’s healthy and I’m just imagining it. I’ve never had Java Moss before. I think it looks more brown to my eye than it does in my phone camera.

Please let me know if it’s fine or if I might be caring for it wrong.

Thanks! As always.

image.jpg

Advertisement
aced it
Java moss can go through a melting period, especially if it was attatched densely. It should bounce back just fine

Advertisement
Rylan
Java moss can go through a melting period, especially if it was attatched densely. It should bounce back just fine
Thanks! Should I wait to cut back the browning areas until it settles in?

Bryangar
I’ve never noticed moss melting. But IME brown or dying moss does not get better, it’s like a dying leaf in a regular aquarium plant. I would try to clip the parts that you can, only in the picture you provided doesn’t look dead/dying.

Rylan
I’ve never noticed moss melting. But IME brown or dying moss does not get better, it’s like a dying leaf in a regular aquarium plant. I would try to clip the parts that you can, only in the picture you provided doesn’t look dead/dying.
Hmm if it is dying would you happen to know if it’s deficiency in the tank I should look for. It definitely came healthy. I actually didn’t plant it immediately after receiving and just kept it floating in tank water for a week and it did fine then too.

I wonder if maybe I got a little overzealous with the string during the attaching.

Any tips for the next time if I end up needing a new patch?

A_School_of_Sharks
I find Java moss has the ability to outlast most of my plants. In one of my tanks, my American Flagfish constantly beats it up and eats it routinely. Despite this, my moss continues to grow and thrive.

The only thing I ever noticed that killed some of my patches in the past, is when my water level gets lower than where the moss is growing. This sometimes dried out clumps of moss growing higher on driftwood.

Is it possible it was left out of water for too long when it was being tied on?

Regardless, I'll bet it will bounce back. Just give it time.

Advertisement
Rylan
I find Java moss has the ability to outlast most of my plants. In one of my tanks, my American Flagfish constantly beats it up and eats it routinely. Despite this, my moss continues to grow and thrive.

The only thing I ever noticed that killed some of my patches in the past, is when my water level gets lower than where the moss is growing. This sometimes dried out clumps of moss growing higher on driftwood.

Is it possible it was left out of water for too long when it was being tied on?

Regardless, I'll bet it will bounce back. Just give it time.
Possibly, it did take me a while to tie it on but I did try to periodically wet it in a bucket of tank water as I did so. Perhaps not enough, it probably did get a little too dry a couple times.

I hope you’re right and it bounces back! I really like it and I want it to grow like a weed haha.

DarkOne
I found the best way is to place it where you want and leave it alone. I had a small clump that looked worse than yours bounce back after a few weeks/months. I've had other types that grew no matter what.

I had so much from the first clump that I just put it in a jar for a few months. I needed some moss for my fry and used it. After a month, the brown parts are turning green and the whole clump is growing again.

Rylan
I found the best way is to place it where you want and leave it alone. I had a small clump that looked worse than yours bounce back after a few weeks/months. I've had other types that grew no matter what.

I had so much from the first clump that I just put it in a jar for a few months. I needed some moss for my fry and used it. After a month, the brown parts are turning green and the whole clump is growing again.
Thanks I appreciate the info, especially about placing and letting it be. Sounds like it’s a hardy plant.

JB92668
have u thought about useing fertilizer in small amounts in your tank aquarium fertilizer that may help cheers john

Advertisement
Rylan
have u thought about useing fertilizer in small amounts in your tank aquarium fertilizer that may help cheers john

Thanks John! I have in the past, but my slow growers didn’t seem to use it and I got an algae outbreak. Is the Java Moss more likely to use it? And do you have fertilizers you prefer for lightly planted tanks?

JB92668
your welcome I used to use flurish exel for my tank with java moss and worked very well alaege is common with fertilizers or u can u tablets one at a time

JB92668
your welcome happy to help u mate cheers john

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
MossMark
Replies
Views
wishuponafish